DWV Layout Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Philwgreen

Reaction score
In the process of building a garage addition that has living space above. There is a single bathroom on the second story with a lav, toilet and shower. The bathoom is 12' long with the toilet and shower on opposite ends. The main stack will pass up through the wall next to the shower.

Just getting ready to start my rough in and wanted to run my dmv diagram past everyone here. My main questions are:

1. First off, does this diagram look correct or am I way off?
2. There is a utility sink on the first floor, I know I can't vent it using the bathroom lav drain but can it connect to the lav vent in the attic? And can that vent tie back into the main stack or does it need its own roof penetration? In my drawing I have it going up through the roof.
3. My toilet is roughly 12' from the main stack so I've added a vent. Would a 2" vent be sufficient for the toilet?

Any help/feedback is appreciated.

bathroom_dwv.jpg

Last edited:

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Looked back at my drawing this evening and realized I don't think I can vent the toilet coming off the horizontal. Reworked the drawing a bit and also tied the first floor lav vent in above the second story sink.

We're under IPC here and from what I've read there doesn't seem to be a distance limitation for the toilet vent...I may be wrong about that though. However, if I did want to vent properly - would my revised drawing be the way to do it? I didn't know if there was any danger is the toilet siphoning any of the other traps.

Thanks again for any help in advance.bathroom_dwv_v2.jpg

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Thanks hj.

So if my other vents are correct (i.e. my drawing) , am I ok not venting the toilet?

If I were going to vent the toilet how do I do it so it's not horizontal?

Chris B.

Electrician
Reaction score
In the process of building a garage addition that has living space above. There is a single bathroom on the second story with a lav, toilet and shower. The bathoom is 12' long with the toilet and shower on opposite ends. The main stack will pass up through the wall next to the shower.

Just getting ready to start my rough in and wanted to run my dmv diagram past everyone here. My main questions are:

2. There is a utility sink on the first floor, I know I can't vent it using the bathroom lav drain but can it connect to the lav vent in the attic? And can that vent tie back into the main stack or does it need its own roof penetration? In my drawing I have it going up through the roof.

You can tie the vents together once you are (some distance governed by whatever code you are under, say 6") above the flood level rim of the upstairs lav.

3. My toilet is roughly 12' from the main stack so I've added a vent. Would a 2" vent be sufficient for the toilet?

Maybe the stack should be on the toilet side of the room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks