Collapsed casing? Any solutions?

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkMCM

Reaction score
4" pvc cased well.
200' deep
static water level 60'
well is approximately 30 years old.

Old pump went out and was unable to be pulled, pvc broke at pump. Pump is at the bottom of the well.

New pump will not go past 100'.

Well is really unusable due to decreased available water. We have gotten a camera and a spear past the constriction.

Are there any solutions other than drilling a new well? The two well guys that have been out don't offer anything other than a new hole.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
My first question is what caused the casing to collapse?

Did the pump guys try to get a 3" Grundfos pump past the tight spot?

MarkMCM

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The consensus on the casing problem seems to be minor earthquake activity in the area.

Nobody mentioned a 3" pump. Could we pull the present pump and use a 3" diameter weight to assess clearance?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep, I would try a weight 3" in diameter before I bought the 3" pump just to be sure. You might find a pump guy who has a used one you could try too.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
After re-reading your post, I think a 3" pump would probably be the solution. Have your well guy blow the well to see what it makes. I would look for at least 10 GPM before I would mess with the old well, and if it makes any sand or sediment then scrap it.

Good luck.

Last edited:

MarkMCM

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

We tried a 3" weighted pipe and got it past the constriction and then...

We got the new 3" pump (Grundfos 10SQ10-290) to depth and we are back to original flow. That is the good news.

Bad news. The Pumptec, after running for 5 minutes or so, shows Load and Voltage lights flashing, denoting a "rapid cycle".

What gives? My well guy says, "Pumptecs don't work on 3"pumps." and "Those 3" pumps don't last very long anyway."

I find both of those statements hard to believe. HELP! We need to get the Pumptec back in-line.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pump Teks and 3" Grundfos pumps are not compatible, remove the Pump Tek.

Those little Grundfos pumps are pretty good units, I have seen some go 10 plus years.

Don't let it run dry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks