Old Moen single handle kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Charles2

Reaction score
It dates from about 1980 but I can't find the specific model # on Moen's website. The end of the handle looks triangular, if that helps. I've replaced the cartridge a couple of times over its service life, once with brass and again with plastic. Now it's dripping again. Does anyone make a ceramic cartridge for it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NO, and two replacements in 33 years is a pretty good service life. The stamped handle with a triangular end was the low end "Chateau" line, but they still used the same core as all Moen faucets. PErsonally, I prefer the #1200 brass stems, but some Moen kitchen faucets, not yours however, REQUIRE the #1225 plastic one because of the different "O" ring location on it.

Charles2

Reaction score
Good info, thanks. The HO might want to upgrade to a ceramic model. What should I recommend? They might even go for a pull-out, but not pull-down.

Here's what I would spec: Swiveling, single handle, low-arc, ceramic cartridge, deck mount, 3-hole 8" centerset, chromed cast brass, with aerator and brass mounting hardware, pull-out nylon spray hose with stainless steel sheath and backflow preventer, meeting NSF 61 and ASME/ANSI A112.18.1. But what do y'all say?

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Definitely does not meet current anti-scald requirements! Would be OK to add temperature limit meeting ASSE 1016 to the specs above. What model do y'all recommend?

The title of the thread says kitchen faucet, no need to have any anti scald device. Pick a tap and install it.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Delta and Moen have very nice kitchen sink faucets.Just got to pick the for your application.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What faucet?

The one that has the specifications you listed.I assumed from their detail you were copying from a manufacturer's description.

Charles2

Reaction score
Well, it is copied, but not from a mfr. I've been in remodeling for many years and clients ask me what to look for, and that's what I tell them means good functionality and quality to me based on everything I've read and been told over the years. But I've never actually had to recommend a specific model that fits the description. Hence my request for a recommendation. I thought you guys plumbing daily might have some idea, but I guess not.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I use MANY different faucets and most fit that description. I let the customer decide which STYLE faucet they want, from different manufacturers, therefore there is no ONE faucet that fits your specifications.

Charles2

Reaction score
The stamped handle with a triangular end was the low end "Chateau" line, but they still used the same core as all Moen faucets.

These don't have the stamped handle with the triangular end: http://www.moen.com/search?N=0-4294966725&search_scope=0&search_terms=chateau Does Moen keep the same name as they change the design?

I use MANY different faucets and most fit that description.

Really? I can't find ANY that fully fit that description. What models are you aware of?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Handle designs come and go even though the series name remains the same. You have the "original" version.

1. Swiveling, they ALL do that
2. single handle,Lots of those
3. low-arc, Look at the faucet, although most users prefer high arc
4. ceramic cartridge, common to almost all new ones
5. deck mount, 3-hole 8" centerset, very few do NOT mount with a 3 hole option but most also can use a single opening.
5. chromed cast brass, with aerator.. Chrome is somewhat pedestrian these days, and "brass" is becoming harder to find in new designs because of the antilead laws.
6. brass mounting hardware, also common, although if the faucet doesn't leak the hardware will not corrode
7. pull-out nylon spray hose with stainless steel sheath take your choice. Either a "nylon" braided hose or metal with a surgical rubber linera.
8. backflow preventer, by definition for any faucet with an immersible spout.
9. I find the faucet FIRST, then see how many of the requirements it meets.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks