Help my well went south !

Users who are viewing this thread

Hicrysmoke

Reaction score
Hey guys , about 15 yrs ago a family freind came over an washed me down a 2" pvc well ,, hit water at 12' then hit better water at about 20' ,, he stoped at 28' , very great tasting no irony taste at all like most of the wells are in my area ,, ice cold water too ! On a 100 degree day if i sprayed anyone i was lokking at a fight ,, lol but anyway about 4 yrs ago i started loosing my water from about mid july or august right after all farmers fire up there wells and i would get my water back after october ,, now i only use this well to water garden fill a pool and we love making tea from it ,, i always take my pump down for the winter ,, so i been worried that i would lose my water comepletly aventually and this year it happened ,, put pump on primed it and water was good untill i opened it up wide open lost prime an never got it back ,, next day same thing got water but very little and when i opened it up lost it and just would not reprime ,, so i droped string down an checked water level and it was 22' it used to be about 15' sometimes when i had replace pump few yrs back it was at 18' but still later on i checked an it was back at 15' so i got to thinking if my water table droped mayby i can take a 1-1/4 sand point and galvanized pipe drop that down to bottom and start hammering an bust thru the pvc point which has a regular cap glued on bottom the guy washed my well said he dont trust the blue pointed plastic cap because he had one to fail before so he cuts that off and glues regular cap on points he puts down , so i got my stuff and a helper and we got pipe n point droped in to bottom but then trouble started with my plan ,, evidently over the yrs some sand had accumilated in my well and that metal point got wedged in so tight we stated driving the whole thing down and it drove easy too ,, my helper said well just glue more pvc pipe on and we will drop down another 5 or 8' and you should have water again ,, i told him it may work if this metal pipe will come back out and if it didnt crack my pvc point ,, so we tried pulling metal pipe up and was no go , the whole thing had to come out ,, so thats what i did next ,, we took handyman jack and pulled it all up ,, then undone all metal piping and got metal point out of the pvc point but had to bust pvc pipe with hammer to do so ,, thats hard one learned ,, well we stated putting metal point n pipes back together , put it back in the hole and managed to reach 20' before hitting bottom where the hole had caved in and decided to put water hose down in it and we managed to wash the thing down easy to about 30' then we took a break and hour or so later started back but it wasnt wanting to wash any farther ,, so we hammerd it down to 34' , since the point is only 36" i figured i might better stop here so i wont go past my stream , i just didnt wanna chance it ,, checked water level and it was at 22' just like before but now im down 34' , thats 12' of water , im not sure if thats enuff or not but tired of messing with it and if i can just get enuff water to do my garden rest of summer ill be satisfied and mayby see about washing me new one down next spring ,, but ok i hooked up pump got it primed and at first i had more water pressure and was shooting a stream out the hoes clear over the neighburs house ! I thought wow im fixed now , but about that time it droped fast and pretty soon i lost prime ,, so then i put water hose down pipe and went to point with it and worked it up n down like crazy for about 10 minutes or so and then washed all that mess up out of the well ,, waited till next day and primed pump and i have water but if i open it up much past half way it startes surging and tries to lose the prime ,, but as long as i never open it up past half way the pressure gauge holds at 40 and never dropes below 30 and got nice stream water out hose thats enuf to water garden ,, i hope , but my question is should i go little deeper ? If so will i need a deep well pump or higher hspower then 3rd thats what i have now ,, or should i just go ahead and wash a new well down like one i had before ? And one more thing my water i got now still tastes same but its not ice cold ,, not even close ,, whats up with that ?? Is water in a well with a drop down pipe colder then water from a driving point n pipe ?? Any help would be greatly apreciated ,, thank you for taking time to read my long story but i figured i better just tell it all like it happened ..

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
22' to 24' is the maximum depth a shallow well pump can pull from. You will need a deep well pump with a packer to get water from deeper than 22'. Shouldn't have anything to do with the water temperature.

Hicrysmoke

Reaction score
Thany you valveman i knew about the 25' thing with shallowell pumps but ive used this pump for many years on that old well at 28' it always did great , but my pump is a convertable deep n shallow well redjacket brand And i dont know how to adjust the high capacity injector over to the deep well mode ,, i was told by man that sold it to me a well driller himself that u gotta take it out and turn part of it a certain way and i forgot what he said but it has two pins that drilled and put in to keep it from ever moving outa place ,, but it is set for shallow now ,, and the man has since retired and moved off to live near his son an dont know how to contact him ,, if i could he would do it for me , the packer thing u said i needed what is that exactly ? But tell me if im right since my table has droped and im little deeper then before i am now definatly past the copacity that my pump can pull is that why i can open her up wide open ?

Hicrysmoke

Reaction score
Lol sry about that , i believe your right i should have paragraphed it ,, but im from arkansas and i did finish high school but i was focasing on them pretty girls instead of my school work and english was my worst subject !

Plus they didnt have as good teachers 35 yrs ago as they do nowdays ,, if they did they would have seperated me from the girls !

Any input you can give me on my well would be greatly apreciated .

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yep, the water is too deep for a shallow well jet pump. The packer is a jet assembly that you install down the well, so it can pump from a deep well.

Hicrysmoke

Reaction score
Ok ,, thanks valveman say i just went to a website that shows my pump and according to it i will have to buy a deep well injector , a regulator priming thingy , and two inch packer deal like you said but my worries now are i didnt see any packer for a 1-1/4 pipe , because thats what i have now ,,, so if there is such a packer that size i may be ok ,, if not im stuck again on what to do ,, and went out this morning an ran the pump with faucet opened to where it holds at 40 pressure and i got nice stream water ,, let it run for over an hour and water is ice cold again !!

I timed a 5 gallon bucket fill up and it took a minute thirty seconds ,, before my troubles i could fill one in just over 35 seconds ,, thats big diffrence !

Hicrysmoke

Reaction score
Well thats what i was afraid of ,, i no longer have 2" casing , i pulled all that out and went back with 1-1/4 metal driving point an pipe ,, o well i guess ill just try and get by with it like it is and then next spring ill have me a new one washed down

Thenks for your help valveman

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks