New toilet too big for bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

sheryl169

Reaction score
I have an extremely small bathroom and had a toilet installed three days ago. I had consulted with the plumber and trusted him to select the correct size toilet. My previous toilet was an old American Standard lowboy which allowed just enough space for sitting comfortably. The new toilet is an American Standard cadet comfort height. The new toilet is perhaps 2 to 3 inches deeper (from back of tank to end of bowl) than the other toilet. Now my legs are just squished up against the bathtub. I paid $400 for the toilet and installation. I also need to mention that the previous toilet was installed incorrectly and there was quite a bit of labor involved. I can't afford another toilet installation and I would like to purchase a Toto toilet or some similar toilet that would fit the space. I also wanted a push button toilet and was told that that kind of toilet tends to malfunction and/or leak quickly. Help! Do I have the option of requesting a new toilet? I guess I am just stuck with this one until I can afford a new one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If size was going to be an issue, then that should have been discussed before the purchase.
That water has already passed over the dam. And if you gave him an okay to do the work, it's done.

All ADA toilets will be 1.5" longer.
And then not all are the same. Checking the spec sheets will let you know beforehand which ones are more compact.

A round bowl will be from 26.5" to 28" in depth
An elongated bowl (ADA) can be 28" to 30"
All of these will have some offset from the wall on a standard 12" rough.

If you need compact and tall, then the choices narrow
TOTO does make a CST423EF bowl, Promenade, that is tall and round.\
And the Entrada, round bowl, with universal height. CST243EF

cst243ef_spec_pic.jpg

http://terrylove.biz/toilets/98-toto-cst243ef-entrada-toilet.html

Some of the dual flush bowls have a button on top. I've haven't had any problems with those.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Toto Aquia with dual flush and buttons on top is reliable. Some of the warehouse-club brands with pushbuttons don't leak, but there are documented issues with their pushbutton units malfunctioning with some frequency.

As to the size issue, it wouldn't hurt to talk nicely to the plumber. Maybe he wants you to be happy and will work with you on a compromise.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
When you asked for a "comfort height' that almost required it to be an "elongated bowl" which IS 2" longer than a round front bowl.

Round and ADA Height, as Terry Says. 26.125" long plus about 3/4" between toilet and wall.

CST423EF without CEFIONTECT or CST423EFG with CEFIONTECT (about $30-60 more)

Spec Sheet: https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst423ef_spec.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some people perch at the end of an elongated bowl, rather than sitting back.
The sitting position between round and elongated should be the same. The "extra" room is just that. Extra room in front of you. Guys get that.
I do hear from women sometimes that expect to always set at the very end of the bowl. It's not meant for that.
You sit on the back, where it's rounded for a round lower portion of the body. :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
HJ was right when he stated that comfort height almost meant elongated bowl. The keyword is almost. The Toto Promenades are a rare exception. Also, Terry is spot on with his comments about where the sitting should be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks