Septic tank/grease trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

bquick03

Reaction score
I have a separate septic tank for my kitchen sink (a grease trap?) which has now backed up into my backyard. It is a 100-gallon tank with clay drain pipes. It appears that the backup is due to the clay pipes either shifting, or being interrupted by tree roots. Either way, my question is whether it would be better in the long run to redo the drain field, or if I should just divert the kitchen sink into the main septic tank, as was suggested by my local septic tank company.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
...or if I should just divert the kitchen sink into the main septic tank, as was suggested by my local septic tank company.
I once had a situation like yours, and that is what I would suggest unless your septic tank is too small to handle the additional load. In my own case several years ago, I only had an 800-gallon septic tank at the time...but then discovered an older 500-gallon tank nearby that had been abandoned and managed to get the two working together.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
grease trap

Grease interceptors are NOT like septic tanks. They are holding tanks to catch the grease and retain it until it is physically removed. MILLIONS of homes have their sinks running into the septic tank, so if your grease trap is "really" inoperative, and not just in need of pumping, which IS the proper maintenance for a grease interceptor, then there is no problem with connecting it to the septic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks