I picked up a used pumptec that looks good. $10 buck was worth the gamble??

Users who are viewing this thread

Timbuktu

Reaction score
PTec innards DSC05475.jpgpump cntrl dbl  trip switch DSC05469.jpg
Well,the pics are out of order.
The top Pumpec #1 pic is the current one on my well.
The #2 pic( just above this post) is the newly bought replacement used control box.
My idea is to use it as a spare either for parts or in whole,when needed .

My question
The second pumptec has 2 trip switches. The first has one trip switch
Is this 2 trip switch model compatible unit to replace my current 1 trip switch pump tec .

NOTE:The spliced L1 and L2 blk wires feed into the cable going eventually to the pump tec.

2)By using the wires indentations made when they were connected originally with twisties,i can make a good guess which wires mate up .

The wires are connected in the lower pic for illustrations sake,but i really dont know if its a correct connect.
Would it matter which one is the correct choice?
If it does then how do i decide?

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Reaction score
i only have 400 gal left in storage and Im no closer to solving the tripping problem

pump control trip switch DSC05470.jpgpump cntrl dbl  trip switch DSC05469.jpgI have a Franklin control box that keeps tripping . This has been going for 3 or 4 days now and i only have400 gal of water left in the storage tank.
yesterday morning it didnt trip and pumped water for one 15 min run of the pump,but it tripped all day.
This morning It didnt trip and gave me 250 more gallons,but tripped the rest of the day

Im assuming the trip sensor may be bad since it worked when it was 56 degrees at 4am (which isnt normal anyhow) and quickly rises to 85-90 degrees or it could be something worse .
(update) may 24 Fri: I tried this proceedure again and this time it didnt run..So that looks like thats it?

I just happen to have another franklin control box for a possible replacement in whole or as parts.
ive added a picture of both for your comparison cause they are a little different from each other.
My questions are these :
1-How can i determine why its tripping?
2-if i cant determine that,would it be advisable for me to try and swap out the control boxes ?
Is this an easy doable option ? My skills set may be iffy.
Notice that both franklin control boxes are a bit different. I see one trip switch on my current box . The replacement has 2 trip switches. (See the control box labels as listed below.
3. Control box IDs: On my well now is model 2823008110 HP1/1.5 V230 Hz 26
my pic "parts" control box is model 2823018110 HP 1/2.0v230 sf max 13.2 amps
4. i hope this is clearer now.Advice please.
Thx

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That last control box is a 2HP with 13.2 amp overloads. The first box is a 1.5 HP with 11.9 amp overloads. If one of those overloads on the 2 HP box is tripping at 13.2 amps, you most likely have a bad motor. However, you could still have a bad start cap in the extra control box. Have the box tested. If the box test ok, then the motor is the problem.

Timbuktu

Reaction score
That last control box is a 2HP with 13.2 amp overloads. The first box is a 1.5 HP with 11.9 amp overloads. If one of those overloads on the 2 HP box is tripping at 13.2 amps, you most likely have a bad motor. However, you could still have a bad start cap in the extra control box. Have the box tested. If the box test ok, then the motor is the problem.

No,the box tripping is th 1.5 HP . The 2 hp was a spare. So i could remove the 1.5 and take it to have it(start cap) tested and if its good then the motor is the likely problem. If the"start cap" tests bad then the cap's the problem.
Now , if the 1.5 hp cap is bad,can i just substitute the entire "2 cap" box ,as pictured, inplace of the single capper??
Oh by the way,this morning I manually got the pump to work around 10am after two failures befor dawn.
While the pump was running I could hear off and on the caps making a crackling type noise,oh maybe 3 or 4 times at the beginning of the pump runing. Nothing visible though. Whats that tell you?

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
No,the box tripping is th 1.5 HP . The 2 hp was a spare. So i could remove the 1.5 and take it to have it(start cap) tested and if its good then the motor is the likely problem. If the"start cap" tests bad then the cap's the problem.
Now , if the 1.5 hp cap is bad,can i just substitute the entire "2 cap" box ,as pictured, inplace of the single capper??
Oh by the way,this morning I manually got the pump to work around 10am after two failures befor dawn.
While the pump was running I could hear off and on the caps making a crackling type noise,oh maybe 3 or 4 times at the beginning of the pump runing. Nothing visible though. Whats that tell you?
WHY is that wire nut in the first photo burned? that can't be good, and there must be/have been a bad connection which would create a voltage drop across it making the motor pull too much current trying to develop its rated RPM at a reduced voltage. may be I missed some words and confused which pump is which?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

"Crakling" could be the start relay points. Just as likely to be the problem as the caps themselves. Will it stay running with the 2 HP box?

And yeah, nothing else matter until you fix that bad connection!!

Timbuktu

Reaction score
1 HP control box DSC05481.jpg2HP franklin control boxDSC05480.jpgBobL43

Hmmm sorry for confusion,

Ill try and be a little clearer:
The pumptec you saw with the burn spot is what is on my well . I cleaned it yesterday.
The Franklin control box 1-1.5 HP is also what is on the well with the pumtec burn spot.
( I will mention the other franklin control box at the end incase swapping is suggested)

As usual,this morning I attempted a pump start and it tripped off in about 2 or 3 sec.
For the last 2 or 3 days since I have been posting here,the control box has been tripping ,as above ,any time a demand was placed for the pump to turn on.

There have only been 2 exceptions ,& only once each day and at random times of day:
Thats when the pump pumped water only one time each day(only with a manual reset). Any other attemps throughout each day it simply tripped off.
This morning I attempted another reset to see if it would pump and it just popped off once again.
I will attempt these manual resets throughout the day in hopes one of them will work .

My water is now below the jet foot valve? and it will not turn on to bring the tank water into the pressurized tank for home use. So Im out of water for this week end and will try and get someone out here Monday at soonest. Unless of course any of you can help me solve this problem and assuming I can do the fix.
Thats also why Ive included the pictures of the two franklin control boxes. Hopefully, someone may be able to determine if i should swap boxes or no.
Note. The current box on my well that keeps tripping is the 1.5 HP box pictured

The pictured spare Franklin control box,2hp, I have just in case i can either scavange parts or do a complete box exchange if needed.

If my pics of the 1.5HP and the 2 HP boxes arent good enough,I can always retake a better angled pic so someone can determine if its a match.
i looked at the wiring ,compared both boxes and they looks matchable to me,but then what do I really know about electrical....as you can tell,not much.

All the insertion and origin points match up. The only variation is joining in of the 2nd trip sensor ,but its wires still end up at the proper insertion point .

Hope that helps

( my lifetime quote: I usually have enough to get in the door,but not enough to stay"

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Reaction score
"Crakling" could be the start relay points. Just as likely to be the problem as the caps themselves. Will it stay running with the 2 HP box?

And yeah, nothing else matter until you fix that bad connection!!

--------------------------

It stays running with the 1.5 HP box. The 2 HP is only a possible spare

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It looks to me like one Box is for a 2 wire pump motor , I guess that is what you have ?

And the "new to you" 10 buck one is for a 3 wire Motor. That is why it has 2 Overload breakers.

The Overload breakers will be a different rating for 2 HP verse 1.5 HP.

What model of Pump do you have ?

Timbuktu

Reaction score
DonL :What model of Pump do you have ?

PS:Ill have to locate the records or call the outfit that installed it.Ill post asap

DonL:2 wire pump motor , I guess that is what you have ?
PS:Youre guess is better than mine.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
DonL :What model of Pump do you have ?

PS:Ill have to locate the records or call the outfit that installed it.Ill post asap

DonL:2 wire pump motor , I guess that is what you have ?
PS:Youre guess is better than mine.

If you do not know, Then you need to call the Man, as Andy would say.

Or get Gomer Pyle to fix it.

You will have to wait for Gomer , He is busy at the Indy 500 singing today.

I just can't wait to see the Fat Lady sing at Indy. She should Hook up with Gomer.

Call the Man...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you do not know, Then you need to call the Man, as Andy would say.

Or get Gomer Pyle to fix it.

You will have to wait for Gomer , He is busy at the Indy 500 singing today.

I just can't wait to see the Fat Lady sing at Indy. She should Hook up with Gomer.

Call the Man...
Don, I read his cousin Goober took her out after the race

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks