Trick installing dishwasher motor & gasket?

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
Not succeeding in getting the motor housing gasket into place. What's the trick? Tried putting the gasket around the motor assy and pushing, but no go. So placed the gasket & tried angling the motor assy down & in; also no good. Is this a brute force job or what?

Can't get leverage... there is a heater element in the way of my fingers also. Tried using screwdrivers to get under the gasket flange, like installing a bicycle tire.

Can't rock the motor assy much because the hose stub on the left is a tight squeeze and the clamp for the hose on the right wants to chip the enamel.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Not succeeding in getting the motor housing gasket into place. What's the trick? Tried putting the gasket around the motor assy and pushing, but no go. So placed the gasket & tried angling the motor assy down & in; also no good. Is this a brute force job or what?

Can't get leverage... there is a heater element in the way of my fingers also. Tried using screwdrivers to get under the gasket flange, like installing a bicycle tire.

Can't rock the motor assy much because the hose stub on the left is a tight squeeze and the clamp for the hose on the right wants to chip the enamel.
I tell you, I give you a lot of credit for getting involved with this project. I've looked at dishwashers I've thrown out in the past and said to myself anybody that would wrestle with that motor setup must be nuts. I'm sure you are not.:p

With my luck, even if I did try to, it would probably leak at the tub joint for some reason or other.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't be put off by this name... go to the website www.appliancejunk.com
It is a DIY help which is one of the best forums on the net. Provide them the exact model number of the DW and they will take you through it.

Any appiance is repairable.... if it is old, the hours involved may make it inadvisable to PAY for a repair, but if you are willing and able to do the work, it will be doable.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score

The answer is You have to take it apart.

As one old man told me in the day, It went together didn't it ? Then it will come apart.

Good Luck.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Don't be put off by this name...

lol

If the shoe fits then wear it.

I always knew if it can be broke, then it can be fixed.

But is it worth it ? Watts the next thing that will break ?

The new stuff is disposable for the most part.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
lol

If the shoe fits then wear it.

I always knew if it can be broke, then it can be fixed.

But is it worth it ? Watts the next thing that will break ?

The new stuff is disposable for the most part.
I kunda said it better myself. As I said above, I would have thrown it out a long time ago. And yes, new dishwashers have much longer run cycles, but they are more gentle and supposedly use less power anyway due to lower HP motors. Not sure on that last statement' accuracy, because I did not take the measurements.

AcidWater

Reaction score
Finally got it. Guy told me to start with the gasket around the pump assy, lube it with soap & shove.

With all my weight & wife pushing on my back it kept popping back up if I pushed any spot.

Realized I could push it down in the back and then use one of the underside clamps, then push the front. My wife held it down while I did another clamp. Then the third. Holds water. Siphoned it out & rinsed a couple times to remove the soap so it doesn't foam when I run it.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Finally got it. Guy told me to start with the gasket around the pump assy, lube it with soap & shove.

With all my weight & wife pushing on my back it kept popping back up if I pushed any spot.

Realized I could push it down in the back and then use one of the underside clamps, then push the front. My wife held it down while I did another clamp. Then the third. Holds water. Siphoned it out & rinsed a couple times to remove the soap so it doesn't foam when I run it.
A good woman is hard to find. She sounds like a keeper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks