Our pressure tank is leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Crafter_Man

Reaction score
Our home is on a well. About a month ago our pressure tank started leaking. Some pics:

crafter_man-01.jpg

crafter_man-02.jpg

crafter_man-03.jpg

The tank is located in the basement. I am guessing it was installed in 1989, when the house was built. It is an A.O. Smith Aqua-Air V60.

Can the tank be repaired? Or do I need a new one?

In either case, is this a job I can do myself? (I am pretty handy. I have quite a few tools, and have installed copper pipe and plastic drain pipe a number of times over the years.)

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You MIGHT get lucky and find there is a pin hole in the piece of copper tubing between the tank Tee and the tank. However, that tank is pretty old so I would replace it and get rid of those galvanized fittings at the same time. Be sure to put in a pressure relief valve too.

jswordy

Reaction score
If you can work copper pipe, you can easily do this job yourself.

Late on this, but I'd definitely replace the galvanized stuff with copper. Copper to galvanized creates an electrolytic action that can severely corrode and even perforate the galvanized over time. It could even be why the tank perforated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks