What is this and what does it do for my NG furnace?

Users who are viewing this thread

greaper

Reaction score
I have a rental house and the other day my tenant called to tell me that there was no heat or AC. After further investigation I found that I had a bad EZ-TRAP float switch. I also noticed that there was a pair of wires just hanging that I thought was connected to this device that is on the exhaust flue. Can someone tell me what these pictures are of and what is it used for? I am also not sure if there is supposed to be two wires going to the small device in front or just one?

IMG_20130414_184429_342.jpgIMG_20130414_184502_222.jpg

greaper

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick answer. Two questions. What is a barometric damper? How is the thermostatic switch supposed to wired? I assume that if the temperate rises to high at the switch that it is supposed to cut off the unit?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm not a HVAC tech so I cannot cite code, but that thermostatic switch does not look like a code compliant setup. I think it was probably something that a well meaning DIY'er jury rigged. My guess is it was meant to detect a flue reversal (downdraft). I would use a CO detector to monitor for flue reversal.

The barometric damper regulates the amount of draft by mixing in cooler room air whenever the draft is too strong.

Failure2Comply

Reaction score
Someone installed an warp disc limit (180F "Flue Draft Spillage") switch on your barometric relief damper. They must have had a venting issue and band-aided the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks