why use submersible pumps for wells?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ginahoy

Building Systems Engineer
Reaction score
Given the labor involved in pulling a submersible pump (especially with hard pipe), there must be a good reason for using them, as opposed above-ground pumps. From an efficiency standpoint, it seems like it wouldn't matter where the pump is located along the path since it still has to pump against the same head. What am I missing here?

As an aside, I recall the pump for my family's lake cabin was mounted on top of the well head. I recall my dad having to prime the pump from time to time, but I always thought that was because the place wasn't used regularly.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
From an efficiency standpoint, it seems like it wouldn't matter where the pump is located along the path since it still has to pump against the same head. What am I missing here?
A submersible is more than twice as efficient. A pump is much better at pushing than pulling.

As an aside, I recall the pump for my family's lake cabin was mounted on top of the well head. I recall my dad having to prime the pump from time to time, but I always thought that was because the place wasn't used regularly.
A sub never needs priming.
A sub is water cooled.
A sub is quieter.
A sub can pump from deeper.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not to mention that most people hate hearing their jet pump come on in their basement.

From a purely capitalistic point of view, pump guys make infinitely more money with fewer hassles servicing submersibles than they ever could servicing jets.

Ginahoy

Building Systems Engineer
Reaction score
A submersible is more than twice as efficient. A pump is much better at pushing than pulling.

Thanks for the responses. I get the other issues, but I didn't realize there was an inherent difference between pushing and pulling since the amount of work would be the same (e.g., difference between elevation of water table vs. receiver tank, plus pipe friction losses and bladder pressure). I guess this is attributed to the difference in the two pump designs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks