Low hot water flow all faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

Snifferpro

Reaction score
A friend just called and said she has low hot water flow to all hot water taps.

She drained the tank by attaching a hose to the drain valve and shutting off the water coming into
The hose and opening the pressure relief valve.

She said there appeared to be no sediment in the draining water.

She then turned the water back on to the house, filled the tank, and had normal
Flow at hot water taps.

Later she called back and said flow was back to a trickle after the water had heated.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
She then turned the water back on to the house, filled the tank, and had normal
Flow at hot water taps.

More often than not, it is the reverse. Draining/refilling can cause a large sudden influx of disturbed sediment that can bung up the heat traps.

It has happened to me more than once and each time after I had turned off the all the water to work on the system. I am tempted to remove the heat traps entirely and probably will the next time I have to fight with it. The problem is my supply lines are hard copper and I'd have to cut and sweat in new fittings.

Snifferpro

Reaction score
After getting the old nipples out with considerable effort, I found that the ball in the cold water nipple was solidly attached to the side of the nipple and ball in the hot water nipple
was floating freely.

After replacing both, hot water flow is back to normal.

Again, thanks for the tip. saved a call to the plumber and I learned something new.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks