Raise showerhead

Users who are viewing this thread

Woodenshoe

Reaction score
My house was build in the eighties by my wives grandfather and the showerheads are low. Are there any couplings/extenders on the market that are recommended? The problem is that the pipe that comes out the wall already points downwards and cannot be removed without going in the wall. Any help will be appreciated!

Ron

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to remove the pipe from the wall, but that is a minor issue. Then, there are MANY, "riser" shower arms which will elevate the head. Some use an adjustable swivel joint, while others are "S" shaped.

index.php

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Almost all shower arms thread into a fitting, and you should be able to unscrew it. Now, if they failed to anchor that fitting in the wall, that could be problematic as it might move once you get the old one out, and lining up a new one may be very difficult to then screw it in. If it is stable, you can't pull it out, it should be doable. Otherwise, you'd need to either tear up the wall, or access it from behind, which may be easier to repair.

Another possibility is to screw on a hose, mount a bar on the wall, and use a handheld.

delta-hand-shower-touch-clean.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm tall so I'm familiar with this problem!

If you don't want to use a hose and handheld shower head as suggested, another way to go is to carefully unscrew the typical "bent" shower arm, and find a straight one to replace it with. Then, if you find a good showerhead with a swivel joint, you can sometimes get the head up high enough to work well.

If not, go with the "S" shower arm as HJ discussed above. They do work well to get the showerhead up high, but they sometimes will want to turn a bit from side to side.

You can also do as I did and combine an "S" shower arm with a handheld shower head like Delta for the ultimate flexibility and height.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks