3" PVC Repair Coupling

Users who are viewing this thread

ionized

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums as a "poster" though I've learned much from reading about plumbing issues here in the past. I am adding a new kitchen island with a 2" PVC drain and AAV. I plan to connect to existing 3" horizontal drain using PVC WYE 3x2x3 fitting. My questions is: does the IPC allow use of 3" PVC repair couplings on both ends of the WYE? This fitting will be below existing floor and above a finished basement ceiling.

I believe I read that IPC does not allow no-hub or Fernco in finished space unless a access panel in provided (could not find any reference other than "welded connections"). My preference is to use the repair couplings, if allowed by IPC. Thanks for any insight!:cool:

Stan

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
repair couplings

You will either have to be one of the fastest people on Earth, or need 6 hands to install ANY 3" fitting using repair couplings. You MIGHT get one in place before it grabs the pipe, (but the odds are against it), but NEVER two of them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make these for PVC

mission_bandseal.jpg

And they are legal.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;; no-hub or Fernco

N0-Hub bands are designed for No-Hub cast-iron soil pipe ONLY, even though they can be fitted to plastic drainage, and "Fernco" type couplings are not allowed inside the building according to many codes. The "proper" "transition" coupling which is similar to a No-Hub but sized for plastic is allowable.

ionized

Reaction score
You will either have to be one of the fastest people on Earth, or need 6 hands to install ANY 3" fitting using repair couplings. You MIGHT get one in place before it grabs the pipe, (but the odds are against it), but NEVER two of them.

Thanks HJ- the speed with which I would have to install each coupling is my main concern. I may opt for the connectors Terry has suggested. My concern with them though is that they will be located in inaccessible space once I replace the floor and I thought code required access for Fernco.. I did check with my inspector and he too recommended the connector Terry shows in his response.

Thanks for getting back on my question!

ionized

Reaction score
Thanks Terry- as HJ noted I would have to work real fast with the PVC Repair couplings. From what I've read, there is a good chance the adhesive would be scraped from part of the surface as the coupling slides into place resulting in "do over". My inspector also suggested a banded coupling like you show, so I am likely to go with that. I still have an inclination to try the repair couplings in a mock-up where a fail wont matter- just to see if that can be done.

One additional question- the sink in the island will be small prep sink only- no DW or disposal. Can I run 1 1/2" Sched. 40 rather than 2" to the existing 3" horizontal? Distance will be about 12 ft and will run thru joists. Drilling and placing 1 1/2" between the joists would be easier. Plan is to use an AAV at the island for vent.

Thanks for your help in completing my remod!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A prep sink used 2" for the waste and 1.5" for the trap arm.
That would be a good one to run by the inspector though.

The last prep sink I did was run in 2".
Since they had a 2x8 floor system, we ran below some of the joists, near the wall.

Ryan pipe repair&coupling

Pipe repair&coupling clamp
Reaction score
Website
www.china-repairclamp.com
I'm new to the forums as a "poster" though I've learned much from reading about plumbing issues here in the past. I am adding a new kitchen island with a 2" PVC drain and AAV. I plan to connect to existing 3" horizontal drain using PVC WYE 3x2x3 fitting. My questions is: does the IPC allow use of 3" PVC repair couplings on both ends of the WYE? This fitting will be below existing floor and above a finished basement ceiling.

I believe I read that IPC does not allow no-hub or Fernco in finished space unless a access panel in provided (could not find any reference other than "welded connections"). My preference is to use the repair couplings, if allowed by IPC. Thanks for any insight!:cool:

Stan
new too , learned much from this forums

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Repair couplings can be a major pain to use. The banded couplings are much simpler to get right.

Often, you can get by with just one (the last one), and cement the rest of the system up.

elgato

Reaction score
repair couplings

Would this also apply to 3" ABS or does ABS glue give you more time?
Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks