Toilet into existing 3" PVC under concrete slab

Users who are viewing this thread

mc_1_2_3

Reaction score
Hello, getting ready to install a toilet in my basement. House is only 4 years old and I placed drains in floor when building but now we have decided to move location of the toilet in the basement. Luckily it will still be directly above the 3" PVC under the slab and there is a properly installed 2" vent that goes to the roof within 3 feet of the new location. My question is what is the best way to connect to that existing 3" PVC? Dig a large hole and use slip fittings of some kind and a long-sweep 90-tee? Is there a saddle suitable for attaching a 3" to a 3" at a 45 degree angle? I will need to leave both ends of the exisiting 3" pipe open as there is a shower up-stream from the toilet. I will have enough height for a long sweep or two 45's.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mission makes some shielded couplings you can use.
A wye fitting for sure, and a vent between the toilet and the shower, so that flushing the toilet doesn't affect the shower drain.
Also, if that 3" line serves other fixtures, a vent between also.

mc_1_2_3

Reaction score
Mission makes some shielded couplings you can use.
A wye fitting for sure, and a vent between the toilet and the shower, so that flushing the toilet doesn't affect the shower drain.
Also, if that 3" line serves other fixtures, a vent between also.

Thanks Terry. Yes, the vent is between the shower and the toilet. The 3" line dumps into the 4" main that goes directly to the septic tank so no fixtures after the toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As I stated in a previous question, just because the vent is "within 3' of the new location", that does NOT NECESSARILY mean it will function as a vent for the toilet. Proximity does NOT equal proper function or utility.

mc_1_2_3

Reaction score
As I stated in a previous question, just because the vent is "within 3' of the new location", that does NOT NECESSARILY mean it will function as a vent for the toilet. Proximity does NOT equal proper function or utility.

Well, no pics because its still under concrete, but, the 2" vent comes off the 3" pipe (before the toilet) with a wye fitting that is 45 degrees from horizontal then a 45 straight up the wall eventually going to the roof. Not a wet vent. I believe it will work and is to code in PA.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it comes off the pipe FROM the toilet to its connection to the main, it is a vent. If it comes off the main pipe the toilet pipe is connecting to, then it is NOTHING as far as a vent is concerned. YOU believe it will work, (then why are you asking us about it, and there can be a big gap between "what will work" and what is a proper installation), and WHO said it was to code in PA?

mc_1_2_3

Reaction score
If it comes off the pipe FROM the toilet to its connection to the main, it is a vent. If it comes off the main pipe the toilet pipe is connecting to, then it is NOTHING as far as a vent is concerned. YOU believe it will work, (then why are you asking us about it, and there can be a big gap between "what will work" and what is a proper installation), and WHO said it was to code in PA?

I have another toilet that is installed the same way this one will be. The toilet goes directly into a 3" line, the pipe from the toilet doesn't have a vent on it, but the 3" main does have a 2" line that is a lav drain/wet-vent about 2' from where the toilet connects. I guess I better call Gaurdian Inspection Services and inform them that I have a non-code installation that they permitted just four years ago. Or, perhaps you can call them and berate them? Actually there is yet another toilet installed this way also. Both flush with no problems, no bubbles, no clogs.
Why don't you try to be helpful instead of just being a prick?

My main question was what would be the best way to connect to a 3" line under concrete, and Terry replied with a helpful and considerate answer. Thanks Terry.

Won't be back soon if this is a representative sample of responses from a moderator.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks