How to tie into this main stack for small wet bar sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Kezug

Reaction score
I have a wet bar sink that I am putting in the basement. I have the hot and cold water lines all ready to go but I am now stumped as to how to connect my sink drain to this 4" inch waste stack.

This sink is in my basement. The 4" line that you see below is a waste stack for my upper floors. It is one of two stacks that I have in my basement.

My questions:
1) how can I tie into this stack for a waste line from my sink that I want to put in?
2) my sink is going to be right next to this 4" waste line. Will I need a Air Admittance Valve?

NOTE: My sink will be to the right of my supply lines and to the left of that vertical soffit that the 4" waste from upper floors is located.

Here are some pics:
IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will still need venting for the bar sink.
When air and water come down the line, it has an effect on the water in the p-trap of the sink below. This has always been the case.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The first question is whether the drain and vent will fit in the outside wall to the inside of the insulation.

That chase is pretty big and might afford you enough room to easily get a new vent up alongside the existing stack. If it goes straight up through the roof you could tie the two together in the attic.

Kezug

Reaction score
The first question is whether the drain and vent will fit in the outside wall to the inside of the insulation.

That chase is pretty big and might afford you enough room to easily get a new vent up alongside the existing stack. If it goes straight up through the roof you could tie the two together in the attic.

There is no room...to get to the roof from this location. This is in my basement of a 2 story.

Why cant I just put in an AAV under the cabinet (like for an island sink)?

However, I am still in need to find out how to tie into the 4" waste that is showing inside that chase?
Can I do a rubber clamped coupler above and below a sanitary tee?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The vent goes from the 1st floor to the roof, so one very well can go from the basement to the roof also. It's all a matter of perspective.

Legally the use of an AAV would depend on your plumbing code. Talking to your plumbing inspector would be a good place to start.

The problem with using an AAV under a sink in a basement is that every time there is the slightest backup in the line it will hit the AAV first. This contaminates the air check diaphragm and stops it from sealing. Then the house fills with sewer gas.
If you must use an AAV, the vent should be piped up above the flood rim of the sink, where it will be less likely to ever become contaminated.

You can connect the drain to a sanitary tee in the stack. You will need to make sure the stack is well supported when you cut it in.

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
There is no room...to get to the roof from this location. This is in my basement of a 2 story.

Sure there is, that other stack doesn't disappear, it goes up and out the roof.
Why cant I just put in an AAV under the cabinet (like for an island sink)?
You can do whatever you want, but using an AAV is a LAST RESORT not the BEST PRACTICE.
Can I do a rubber clamped coupler above and below a sanitary tee?

Why rubber couplings when you have plastic pipe? Of course you use a sanitary tee, I'm not sure what other details you're asking about?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Rather then a rubber coupling, they would be metal wrapped rubber couplings to prevent the pipe from shifting out of line. Mission makes them.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Kezug

Reaction score
Sure there is, that other stack doesn't disappear, it goes up and out the roof.

Well, I will certainly check into seeing how I can run a vent line up and out the roof. Might have to tear out some drywall on floors 1 and 2 and then up and out the roof.

However, it just kills me that the builder didnt run a couple pipes up and out the roof...especially since they plumbed for a bathroom. Dumb.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally if there is a bathroom rough in the basement, they would have dropped down a vent for it too.
I have also gone to the next floor, found a vent and dropped that down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks