Laundry stack - can pipe size be reduced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikeygstl

Reaction score
I am finishing off our basement laundry, and currently there is a 3" stack coming up out of the floor. The trap is under the concrete. Is it acceptable to reduce the pipe size to 2" in order to hook up to a washing machine outlet box, or is there a outlet box with a 3" spigot or hub connection? I fall under IRC here - they still go by the 2006 edition.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The standpipe with trap can be 2", and needs to be above the floor. This can connect to the 3" line going into the floor. The trap below the floor will need to be removed.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I do recall another member posting here that the 3" standpipe with the trap in the floor is specifically permitted by a local Missouri code. I didn't believe it at the time but did find it in the MO code.

Mikeygstl

Reaction score
I do recall another member posting here that the 3" standpipe with the trap in the floor is specifically permitted by a local Missouri code. I didn't believe it at the time but did find it in the MO code.

I do know the 3" stand pipe is permitted, with a trap beneath the floor, as it was inspected and passed justa few months ago. The problem I am having is that I now need to find a way to connect this stand pipe to a 2" washing machine outlet box.

I'll talk with the inspector this afternoon when I pull the permit and report back what I find.

Mikeygstl

Reaction score
Just realized I never reported back on this.

In Missouri, the 3" trap under concrete is allowed, and the 3" stand pipe can be reduced to a 2" for the laundry mash box. No trap above floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks