Water Line Diagram & Terry Love question on YOUTUBE!

Users who are viewing this thread

PGHnoobie

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have been lurking over at John Bridge's website on tiling and bathrooms. They sent me over here for my plumbing questions. This will be a 2 part question. 1.) Supply Lines (Picture) 2.)Waste/Vents (video).

Supply Lines: My main concern here is water pressure in the shower. I have 3/4" lines in which everything T's off of going to 1/2". Will this be ok?
Waterlines.JPG

Waste/Vents: I made a video for you guys :) Please try to follow along and let me know your thoughts! Remember, this stuff isn't glued together yet!
[video=youtube;k73pJfNBwbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k73pJfNBwbc[/video]

I am in desperate need of feedback to keep this project rolling!

Thanks guys!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is NEVER EVER permissible to reduce the size of a line. That 4 going into the three is illegal, and TROUBLE~

PGHnoobie

Reaction score
Everything that I read said that I need a 4" drain pipe for a 10' foot run to the stack From the toilet. Would it be better to go 3" without a reducer then?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
No no no no no no no! You can't reduce. You can't run vents horizontally below the flood level rim of the fixture.

Cookie

Reaction score
Matt Mertz is a good plumber in your area, if you should need to call one.

PGHnoobie

Reaction score
Point taken on not reducing, I appreciate the callout! Am I safe running a 3" waste line at a span of 10 feet for the toilet then???

All vents go vertical to above the floodline of the highest fixture.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I stoppedl watching as soon as you got to the 4x3 REDUCER. Everything past that point would be improper. The pipe size depends on your local code, here the pipe can only be 6' long before you have to connect a vent to it. It amazes me how "everybody" thinks all you need is some pipe and a little advice from the Internet and anyone can become a plumber.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I stoppedl watching as soon as you got to the 4x3 REDUCER. Everything past that point would be improper. The pipe size depends on your local code, here the pipe can only be 6' long before you have to connect a vent to it. It amazes me how "everybody" thinks all you need is some pipe and a little advice from the Internet and anyone can become a plumber.
That's how I learned to be a master plumber; or was that a baiter (you know, for fishing:p)

sorry, could not resist that.

PGHnoobie

Reaction score
I have learned far more complex things off of the internet, rebuilding engine for example. I'm not saying that plumbing isn't complex, and there are a lot of "rules" that I am trying to learn.

I removed the 4" toilet drain and will change it to 3" tonight with a 2" vent about 5 feet away. Will this be sufficient for a 10' run? Sorry for the rookie mistake on the reducer!!! Rather than a closet elbow, I am going to use to two 45degree elbows coming out of it as I need the pipe to drop immediately.

Thanks again!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Rather than a closet elbow, I am going to use to two 45degree elbows coming out of it as I need the pipe to drop immediately

I am not sure what that means, but I get the impression that your pipe is going to do something it is not supposed to until AFTER it reaches the vent. If the vent is 5' away, then you have a 5' run NOT a 10' run. The pipe after the vent is irrelevent. I am impressed that you learned how to rebuild an automobile engine with just the Internet. Most people would need more than that.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have learned far more complex things off of the internet, rebuilding engine for example. I'm not saying that plumbing isn't complex, and there are a lot of "rules" that I am trying to learn.

I removed the 4" toilet drain and will change it to 3" tonight with a 2" vent about 5 feet away. Will this be sufficient for a 10' run? Sorry for the rookie mistake on the reducer!!! Rather than a closet elbow, I am going to use to two 45degree elbows coming out of it as I need the pipe to drop immediately.

Thanks again!
Relax, I was making fun of myself, not you:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks