iron removal well water

Users who are viewing this thread

curt21

Reaction score
Hi from my recently dug shallow well I am getting rust staining on my toilet and an iron odor in my water. I know a water softener or iron filtration system is the best option. However is there a cartridge filter I can get for my rainfresh whole home inline filter that will reduce the iron levels for a temp. fix? I was thinking about trying the ceramic .3 micron cartridge with an active carbon core - what are your thoughts? Thank you

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to have a water test done before anyone can give you the right advice.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Hi from my recently dug shallow well I am getting rust staining on my toilet and an iron odor in my water. I know a water softener or iron filtration system is the best option. However is there a cartridge filter I can get for my rainfresh whole home inline filter that will reduce the iron levels for a temp. fix? I was thinking about trying the ceramic .3 micron cartridge with an active carbon core - what are your thoughts? Thank you
Ferrous iron is dissolved in the water like sugar or salt would be, so disposable cartridge filters will allow it to go right on through them. It doesn't matter how much iron you have n the water, any particulate matter, like rust (ferric iron) will plug up the ceramic and then the carbon if any particles get through the ceramic.

curt21

Reaction score
Thanks so what do you all suggest? Will my iron removal method be dependant on pH? If my pH is too high or low would that be causing the iron to not settle out?

curt21

Reaction score
Having the water tested today. While I'm waiting for results from the lab, will the .3 micron ceramic/carbon filter cartridge remove the odor from the water?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Apparently you have an aversion to testing your water? Really, can't be specific or of much help at all without knowing the conditions but Gary is correct in his assessment of cartridge filtration. Get a test done.

curt21

Reaction score
Tom as I mentioned I submitted water for testing today. I am completely green to water filtration, so I will appologize if some of my questions are out to lunch. I have been told by a filtration company that a greensand filter can also eliminate iron and other dissolved contaminants, would this be correct?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
http://www.bigbrandwater.com/155263-03.html

I do not endorse the website, it is just so you have an idea for the filter type you are asking for. This filter is not a good solution, but it may be a cheap, temporary fix and it answers your question. Personally, do not use this filter. It is going to cost you way too much in the long run, and its effectiveness and longevity is not worth bragging about. We sell a lot of these, but they are usually for very small applications, not for whole house. Post your water test results and we can guide you. Also post how many bathrooms, any unusual high flow fixtures if any (mega rain showers, multiple body sprays, etc), and if you will treat the irrigation or not (not is usually preferred). If you can post a picture or diagram of your current well pump/storage etc. design, that would be helpful too.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tom as I mentioned I submitted water for testing today. I am completely green to water filtration, so I will appologize if some of my questions are out to lunch. I have been told by a filtration company that a greensand filter can also eliminate iron and other dissolved contaminants, would this be correct?

Wooops, I missed your post about getting a test which is step one. As for Greensand, not a fan but let's wait for the test results.

ditttohead

Reaction score
I agree with Tom re: the greensand. It is an amazing media and was the standard way to treat iron 20 years ago. many companies still use it for many reasons. In certain areas, more modern medias are not as effective, it depends on the water, and local guys tend to have a great understanding of the unique water conditions in their area. Some companies sell it for financial reasons, the constant income of selling pot perm, and the potentially higher maintenance that goes along with it. Or just out of a companies inability to research, test, and experiment with newer technologies. Filox, Pyrolox, birm, Air injection, chlorinizaion/GAC, etc are just a few of the methods that can be used in place of greensand/pot perm. All of these technologies have their advantages and disadvantages, but in general, greensand usage has dropped by over 90% in the past 10 years with the company I work for. There are some very exciting new medias that should make their way to the market within 3 years that have the potential to replace many of the medias mentioned above. Like greensand, some companies will never move on to a new product. It can also be a "comfort zone" issue. Greensand works almost everytime it is used, but the handling of the oxidizing agent pot-perm should be avoided if at all possible.

bill marsh

Reaction score

Read the warning label on potassium permanganateused to regenerate greensand. If things go well fine. If not you may be drinking it. So many better options.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Pot perm should be avoided if possible. Many of our customers still use it, but I think they do for the regular income or their lack of trying differnt medias or designs.

FYI, we are testing the 5800SXT in an AIO format, so far it is working perfectly. AIO design combined with birm, pyrolox, filox, and a few of the new medias we are testing, we may have a winner soon.

Inexpensive, effective, long lasting, simple, and reliable.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have not sold a Pot Perm set up in over twenty years now but I will admit that for a time they sure were the bee's knee's

Anxiously awaiting testing of the 5800/AIO. From my preliminary testing of the valve thus far I have a feeling Fleck may very well have a winner there indeed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks