can anyone id the make of this single handle kitchen faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
Here's a shot of the handle insert on my kichen's single handle faucet. It needs to have some work done on it's cartridge ... the problem is when it's turned to the full hot position (i.e. "joysticked" to the extreme upper left position) the water flow is much lower than when it's in the full cold position (i.e. the extreme upper right position).

I repaired it once a number of years ago, but for the life of me, I now can't remember or id the make. and before I start the work I want to get whatever parts I might need ... either an entire new cartridge or possibly just fix any o-rings / seals it might need if they are available.

Does anyone recognize the make from the "starburst" pattern on the handle insert? Thanks in advance.

kitchen faucet.jpg

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
Handle looks like an old Delta.

Thanks for the hint/clue Jimbo. I Googled 'Delta' and 'old kitchen faucet repair' and found a hit with pictures and instructions that looked familiar, from the last time I repaired this faucet -

I haven't taken anything apart yet but at least now, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use the link as a guide and repair my faucet.

Thanks.

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to doing this repair. The faucet is actually an old Waltec (/Delta) singler lever kitchen faucet.

The instructions I found and referred to in my original post, don't actually match my faucet. Mine is similar, but different as you can see in the attached picture (sorry the shot is so blurry).

I think to solve my problem I need to remove and replace the parts in the left foreground area (hot side), but I don't know how they come out. (PS: I'll obviously do the cold side as well, but my main issue is just with the hot side).

I realize that the picture is very blurry ... and even looking at the actual faucet myself I can't see how the parts are held in place. It seems like it might be a brass screw that takes a small Allen key.

Any hints at what I need to do next? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 278

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
I fussed with my faucet some more. It appears to me that the areas in the valve body on the left and right side (where I assume the springs and seals are) must be permanent in this faucet. Of course I could be totally wrong, but the "holes" in the things that I thought were brass screws must be circular ... because they won't take any size of Allen key I tried + they're not square holes either.

I now think the problem is the white "cam" piece sitting in the blue piece on the right in my picture. It's rounded surface is I guess so badly worn, that when the handle is in the hot position, it looks like this white cam piece is suppossed to depress the "brass screw-like" pieces, which then will let water into the valve's mixing body (depending on how much they've been depressed by the cam).

I haven't had any luck finding any repair parts for this faucet (I now see it's marked as being a "Waltec 20"). I guess I'll try to "jury-rig" a temporary fix by sticking some aluminum tape to the worn cam surface, in the hopes of building it up enough so that it will depress the hot water inlet sufficiently to work better. It's a pretty Rube Goldberg type solution, but it might work.

(Since I'm a senior and not a particularly limber one at that, I'm not looking forward to taking everything out from under the kitchen sink and then crawling into and working in the tight confines that are left, to install a brand new tap ... but it might end up being my only option now. After disassembling the tap and putting it back together, I'm now getting virtually no water out of the hot side. (Before my start at trying to repair it, the hot flow was at least marginal).

Nestork

Janitorial Technician
Reaction score
You should be able to get repair parts directly from Waltec. Delta, Price Phister and Waltec are all part of the Masco Group of companies. While Delta and Moen advertise their lifetime guarantee on the faucets they sell saying they will send you any part that wears out on your faucet free of charge, my understanding is that Waltec is also doing that now as well.

Whether or not that guarantee is retroactive to older Waltec faucets, I don't know. But, your best bet is to proceed as follows:

1. Phone Waltec's 1-800-345-3358 free tech support phone number. I know that number works in Canada. If there's a different number for the USA, they'll be able to tell you what the American phone number is.

2. Find out who the Waltec sales agency or sales agent is in your area and his address and phone number. Show the pictures of your faucet to that agent and he should be able to provide you with photocopies of the original documentation that came with that faucet.

3. The original documentation will have an exploded view of your faucet and indicating the part number of each part. The sales agent will be able to tell you if those parts are still available from Waltec. If so, you can probably order them direction from Waltec from the sales agent, but he might require that you purchase them through a retail outlet that sells plumbing parts.

Nestork

Janitorial Technician
Reaction score
Take some in-focus pictures of the faucet from the left or right side so that he can see the shape of the spout and the shape of the base. Take one from directly in front of the faucet so that he can tell how the spout attaches to the base. Also, take an in-focus picture of that star burst on the top of the spout base, and if you've removed that star burst, take a picture of how it clips on to the top of the spout base. That should be enough for him to identify the faucet, and if he can't, he'll e-mail those images to someone at Waltec who can.

Last edited:

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
You should be able to get repair parts directly from Waltec. Delta, Price Phister and Waltec are all part of the Masco Group of companies. While Delta and Moen advertise their lifetime guarantee on the faucets they sell saying they will send you any part that wears out on your faucet free of charge, my understanding is that Waltec is also doing that now as well.

Whether or not that guarantee is retroactive to older Waltec faucets, I don't know. But, your best bet is to proceed as follows:

1. Phone Waltec's 1-800-345-3358 free tech support phone number. I know that number works in Canada.

Hey nestork ... thanks very much for the detailed suggestions on how I should proceed. I didn't know how to connect with Waltec to try to find parts, but you've explained how I can. Thanks again.

Johnny-Canuck

Reaction score
Just to close this thread, Waltec (originally an old Canadian owned company) advised me today that parts were not available for my "Waltec 20".

In fact, over the weekend as I was playing with it, I recalled that I had already replaced it's "cartridge" mechanism once before ... and it wasn't a particularly cheap part. Once I realized that the cause of my problem was really just the white cam part (rather than the entire cartridge) I gave up on the thought of getting a replacement and just bit the bullet and bought and installed a brand new faucet.

End of story ... thanks for all respones.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks