shallow Well ( new installation ) HELP.. I didnt install a foot valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Pastorelli

Reaction score
Hello guys-
This is my 1st water well and now I am confused about a couple things. Maybe you can shed some light?
Here is where I am at - I gently pounded down 20' of 1.25 PVC pipe / 48" point with a 6 lb hand sledge and it worked. I was successful and didnt split or break the pipe. Hooked a pump up and it pulls water great and I ran it for an hour and it never ran dry.

Confusion:
1) I neglected to install a foot valve. Will a check valve ( with priming access below it ) installed close to the pump be sufficient to hold my prime?

2) My well is over 100 feet from the house and I purchased the 3/4 HP Harbor Freight well for $100.. Link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/34-horsepower-shallow-well-pump-with-cast-iron-housing-69305.html
How does that pressure switch work in conjunction with holding prime?

Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
How does that pressure switch work in conjunction with holding prime?

I don't understand the question. A pressure switch has nothing to do with holding prime. Is this for domestic water or for irrigation?

With a small sandpoint, there is no way to use a footvalve. Often, a checkvalve is used at the top of the wellhead. You can place the checkvalve closer to the pump but should not place it too close to the pump because it can disturb the laminar flow and cause some cavitation.

Mike Pastorelli

Reaction score
A check valve just after the 36" or 48" or 60" sandpoint could have been installed. Often referred to as a foot valve but isnt the actual foot valve with screen. Many people install this check valve there and refer to it as a foot valve because of its location at the bottom of the well. My apologies for not being more specific. Both domestic and irrigation. Thank you for your quick reply

Mike Pastorelli

Reaction score
Yes, I saw that too.. I cant understand for the life of me why it wouldnt be suitable for potable water so I am disregarding that... Maybe it has something to do with the cast iron ( Fe ) pump housing. In any event, I dont intend to drink this water, just shower and wash with it. You have any ideas as to why it couldnt be used for potable water useage?

Also, talk to me about check valve positioning. I would imagine spring loaded check valve can be installed horizontally or vertically.. But what about Hinge door type check valves?
Thanks

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Never use a swing or "hinge door" check valve. New rules from California and the EPA say anything without a certification stamp from NSF or without AB1953 approval cannot be used for "potable water". The same kinds of pumps are used for potable water, they just have the approval rating and cost twice as much because of it. You can thank California and the EPA for needlessly doubling the cost of all plumbing products.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks