Holmes On Homes Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Been watching some Holmes on Homes shows lately and seen what is a no-no in the states; since I don't know Canadian plumbing code I don't know if its a violation or not.

Mikes plumber ripping out the original plumbing in the kitchen sink talking about what a abortion it was, (he was right), when he hooked up the new pipes he ran a straight line from the dishwasher on two different sinks and tied it into sink drain line without a high loop or air gap.

Another of Mikes plumbers heated hard copper to make an offset to hook up a shower diverter.

The states will not allow either arraignment.

Anybody know if its allowed in Canada?:confused:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well now depending on where you are they just might. Most dishwashers have the high loop already installed on the unit itself nowadays so if you are in a place that allows high loop and does not require an air gap then if you show the inspector the high loop on the dishwasher you can probably get away with it. As for heating and bending type L copper, as far as I can tell there is nothing in the IPC nor the UPC that does not allow that to be done.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the dishwasher does not have a high loop, then water from the sink will flow back to the dishwasher.
I've seen that in fairly new dishwashers. You can get pretty murky water in the bottom of the dishwasher.
So is it wrong to not go with an air gap or high loop? Yes. Plumbing code requires it.

sink_dw.jpg

dw_install_ge1.jpg

Last edited:

Shacko

Reaction score
Tom Sawyer:

I'm trying to find out if Canada allows it.

2009 UPC Requires an air gap, unless they have changed they want them reguardless of the dishwasher manufactors recomendations

Heating copper to bend it has been a no-no as long as I been in the trade, if you want to bend it you suppose to use soft tubing; using heat contaminates the inside of the tube.

Shacko

Reaction score
If the dishwasher does not have a high loop, then water from the sink will flow back to the dishwasher.
I've seen that in fairly new dishwashers. You can get pretty murky water in the bottom of the dishwasher.
So is it wrong to not go with an air gap or high loop? Yes. Plumbing code requires it.

Terry:

I know you are a fan of Holmes on Homes, but I'm trying to find out if CANADA code allows the three questionable hook-ups I seen lately on the show, I'm sure that most U.S codes will not allow them :confused:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tom Sawyer:

I'm trying to find out if Canada allows it.

2009 UPC Requires an air gap, unless they have changed they want them reguardless of the dishwasher manufactors recomendations

Yep it's in the UPC but many states have amended that rule.

Heating copper to bend it has been a no-no as long as I been in the trade, if you want to bend it you suppose to use soft tubing; using heat contaminates the inside of the tube.

Agreed, but find it in the code book

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
no requirement in our code for high loop, as mentioned most dishwashers have this right at them. i always bring the dishwasher drain through the top of cabinet in sink compartment and hook into y before trap.
also no need for air gap in our code.
our code does state that solid temper copper tubing is not to be bent

Shacko

Reaction score
no requirement in our code for high loop, as mentioned most dishwashers have this right at them. i always bring the dishwasher drain through the top of cabinet in sink compartment and hook into y before trap.
also no need for air gap in our code.
our code does state that solid temper copper tubing is not to be bent

Thats what I was asking, the usual CANADIAN hook-up, thanks.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Testosterone case Holmes tears out a lot of good stuff, and it makes me sick to see the glee with which all this useable wood and pipe and recyclables get tossed in a bin. "UNACCEPTABLE" is my bellow to Homer Holmes!

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
He recycles things from what i've read about. who really cares if it does end up in a land fill anyways? you need to stop the shady people who install that garbage and then you will stop the excess waste in your precious landfills.. mike is OK in my book.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks