Wanting a flat panel television above the fireplace

Users who are viewing this thread

Abouthadit

Reaction score
I know takes 2 weeks for everything (O Brother Movie ) LOL
But I had called a week and a half earlier to Pana Customer Service and after getting transferred to tech support and went through the 20+ questions and then the tech had me do some trial and error diagnoses to the TV he said he knew exactly what the problem was and they would be in contact with the Authorized repair place to have the parts on hand so they had me set up an appointment the following week to allow time for the parts to be shipped there.
A week + later for my appointment I'm expecting either a service tech repairing my TV in Home or a day turn around and have it back the next day or the following day.
NOPE
Some older gentleman (to be nice) shows up looks at the TV and says "WOW haven't seen that in a few years", he said the "panel is dead , needs a new one "
Then went on to say he'll call Panasonic in the morning and get one ordered and that somebody will be out the next day to pick my TV up ???

I explained to him that I was under the impression by my phone conversation with the Pana tech over a week before that the parts (panel) would be at their place and would be a 1 or 2 day turnaround . He just had the deer in the head light look...
Now the tech didn't come out and say what the part was BUT did say he knew what the problem was and parts would be on hand at time of appointment..

There's more but I'm sure I'm boring everybody ! lol

"""Ballvalve had posted some pictures of his work, you could get an idea maybe. John here has nice work for sure, but, Ballvalve has redone so much on his property, and, it to me, seems flawless both in workmanship and taste. You should see what he did, it is beautiful.""""

Would like to see some of his work !!

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Just do a search and his photos should come up. It is really very nice. Are your 2 weeks up, yet? :)

Abouthadit

Reaction score
Just do a search and his photos should come up. It is really very nice. Are your 2 weeks up, yet? :)

That went over my head "Are my two weeks up" LOL
Unless you mean I have 14 days to return the 65in TV.

Nope I'm keeping it , and just going to do a simple drywall around the fireplace outer edges , tile in around it put up the TV then get a mantel to fit ...
I'll have the wires up high where they won't interfere or even come close to anything....

Cookie

Reaction score
I was joking about the " 2 weeks"... but, it sounds good what you are planning to do. :)

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would not build in a plasma tv.

Because it will need to be removed for repair.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
We are working on a clients home in Whistler that has a nice huge TV above the fireplace. After an hour my neck was killing me. I would think a TV that can tilt forward might be useful as well a couch that has a head rest for more comfy viewing.

LOL I just read my post and I sound like a slacker. We worked all day until 8:00 PM and then spend the night here at their place. I did do some work before enjoying TV and Pizza!

JW

DonL

Reaction score
We are working on a clients home in Whistler that has a nice huge TV above the fireplace. After an hour my neck was killing me. I would think a TV that can tilt forward might be useful as well a couch that has a head rest for more comfy viewing.

LOL I just read my post and I sound like a slacker. We worked all day until 8:00 PM and then spend the night here at their place. I did do some work before enjoying TV and Pizza!

JW

That is funny.

Anyone that mounts a TV above a Real Fireplace is asking for trouble.

People do it and like too "Show what I got" until the TV is out for repair.

Then they have to use the TV in the Bedroom that is on the dresser.

Most Fireplaces around here are fake. We have them in Houston just for looks.

Some People have more money than sense, and take TV watching to serious.

200 + channels and nothing worth watching.

Pizza is always good.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

JW
Yup, John, that's what it sounded like!

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That is funny.

Anyone that mounts a TV above a Real Fireplace is asking for trouble.

People do it and like too "Show what I got" until the TV is out for repair.

Then they have to use the TV in the Bedroom that is on the dresser.

Most Fireplaces around here are fake. We have them in Houston just for looks.

Some People have more money than sense, and take TV watching to serious.

200 + channels and nothing worth watching.

Pizza is always good.
Don, I have more sense than money, so please send some (money) my way, lol!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I was ready to go to a large flat screen, I thought over the fireplace would be ideal. However, I was advised by several folks that looking up was not a comfortable way to watch TV. I heeded the advice and got a table for it. Since then, I've had the opportunity to visit homes that had their flat screen over the fireplace and I know I made the right decision. I know it seems like a great idea to save floor space and put the TV so it will be viewable from everywhere in the room, but it really isn't a good idea.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
When I was ready to go to a large flat screen, I thought over the fireplace would be ideal. However, I was advised by several folks that looking up was not a comfortable way to watch TV. I heeded the advice and got a table for it. Since then, I've had the opportunity to visit homes that had their flat screen over the fireplace and I know I made the right decision. I know it seems like a great idea to save floor space and put the TV so it will be viewable from everywhere in the room, but it really isn't a good idea.
A chair like this might help though. Ha!

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Reaction score
Don, I have more sense than money, so please send some (money) my way, lol!

I would but Money is kind of tight right now, since I am getting my New Ceiling projected TV installed in the bedroom.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would but Money is kind of tight right now, since I am getting my New Ceiling projected TV installed in the bedroom.
Well maybe I don't have so much sense after all. If I didn't spend so much on my wife's new bathroom I'd have more money.

DonL

Reaction score
Well maybe I don't have so much sense after all. If I didn't spend so much on my wife's new bathroom I'd have more money.

Keep her happy and she will keep you happy.

You have better sense than most, and your priorities are in the right place.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Keep her happy and she will keep you happy.

You have better sense than most, and your priorities are in the right place.
Thanks Don, we both try to do our best to keep each other happy. Hope you guys are doing well too.

Abouthadit

Reaction score

JW

Can you measure the seating distance to the TV , what size the TV is and at what height is it mounted ?

I'll be at 15 Ft , the TV is a 65in , and top of TV will be approx 7ft 6in and bottom of screen will be aprrox 4ft 6in...

Alot of the TV's I've seen in pictures or in person the seating dist is less than 8ft away and yes that would be like "Front Row Joe" at the movie theater...

I got all the wires ran , the Drywall guy will be here tomorrow, then come back Friday to finish up , hopefully paint Sat. then Sun/Monday get the TV hung.
And all the surround system put back in place ....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer to either look down on the screen or at most, to be looking slightly higher than the mid-point when staring straight ahead. Any up angle to view the screen gets to be a pain. What I'd do is while sitting in your normal viewing seat, look ahead at a point that is comfortable - like staring off into the distance while sitting on a park bench...then ideally, center the screen there. I really think you're going to find it too high unless you have a reclining chair for all positions. Then, consider maybe the children whose sight-line starts a foot or more below yours, or if they like to sit on the floor. High is NOT good unless you are laying in bed or are a masochist.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Can you measure the seating distance to the TV , what size the TV is and at what height is it mounted ?

I'll be at 15 Ft , the TV is a 65in , and top of TV will be approx 7ft 6in and bottom of screen will be aprrox 4ft 6in...

Alot of the TV's I've seen in pictures or in person the seating dist is less than 8ft away and yes that would be like "Front Row Joe" at the movie theater...

I got all the wires ran , the Drywall guy will be here tomorrow, then come back Friday to finish up , hopefully paint Sat. then Sun/Monday get the TV hung.
And all the surround system put back in place ....

Your TV is good size. The AV pros we work with here in Vancouver recommend taking your viewing distance (15' or 180") and dividing it by three (60") . This rule was for the old size TV's so now with the wide angle a 65" should be ideal!

JW

Chefwong

Reaction score
Abouthadit -

Have you done a cardboard mockup as well as sat in the presume seating position.

In the bedroom, mounted nice and high with a angle tilt mount is the way to go. Angled - as in angled down towards the bed.

For a 65", with 1/3 being the general rule, a NICE place to start as a reference point is the bottom of the screen at 40" AFF and then take it from there.
If you're an architect, you want it high --- just because fashion rules over function.
If you're a HT sorta guy, 1/3 eyelevel is the rule of thumb

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks