completely overwhelmed

Users who are viewing this thread

will5649

Reaction score
I am completely overwhelmed with all the different types of water softener/purification systems. I had someone come to the house and test my water and give me info on Hague system. It sounds great, but when I got on the internet to read reviews I was overwhelmed with all the other options (salt, no salt, ion, etc). Not to mention all the different brands within each category. But, to top it all off....most of the websites are so bias bc they are owned and operated by a seller and I do not feel like I am getting fair balanced info. I don't want to be sold, but I do want know the facts and hear customer satisfaction. I am more concerned about the quality of the system, ease of use and life expectantcy of the system.....I am less concerned about the price. If you could please help me by recommending 2-3 water softener systems I would be so grateful.....I am on information overload! We (myself, husband and two year old) live in a 3000 sq ft, one story house in Houston, Tx. We have high chlorine levels and hard water. We moved into this house 2 years ago and I can tell a huge different in the water bc my hair is so dry and brittle. I know that sound small to most, but it really bothers me. Plus, I am very consciences about the quality of water/food we drink/eat. Please advise : )

Thank you!

Shannon

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like to parts to what you are looking for.
Some thing to take out the chlorine and then a softener for the hardness that is in the water.

There are two schools of thought.
The older school with the softeners that have worked for years or the tried and true .
Then there is the new school that has more faith that it will .... and some say it does.

Both will be sized by a mix of max flow rate for the house and the capacity of each so that they are cleaning about every 7-8 days.
The most softeners use the max capacity but that is a little miss leading, it really should be at about 20k per cubic and 30k for the 1.5 cubic. That is really the best bang for the salt.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Are you looking to do it yourself or would you prefer a good quality service company to do the job? I would highly recommend removing the chlorine from the water with a standard GAC backwashing system, and a traditional softener. A properly sized dual tank system like this should not be too expensive. The highly proprietary system companies tend to employee great sales teams with little knowledge of the actual processes that are involved in water treatment. I know several companies in the Houston area that use non proprietary equipment and that charge a fair price. Let me know if you want a few company names.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
a standard GAC backwashing system, and a traditional softener

From ditto's post above

will5649

Reaction score
questions

THank you for your help. I can either do it myself (if not to intensive) or go through a company....which ever is the best way to go. I do want some kind of warrenty (only bc I have heard horror stories of poor installation or quality). What do you think of Hauge? Please forgive my ignorance....when you say that I need a standard GAC backwashing system, and a traditional softener....I don't know where to get that. And is there one brand better than the other? Thank you again for putting up with my lack of knowledge on the topic.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Hauge equipment is not my favorite. As a company, they have a long and for the most part good history. Their equipment is ok, but they are also extremely pricey.

For a local dealer, I know a few in your area that are good and charge a fair price. I just sent you an PM.

For brands, I prefer either Fleck, Clack, or Autotrol, they are common, high quality, and you will not be locked into only 1 choice for future repairs. Most companies wont repair Hague equipment since they dont have access to parts. This can affect the price. Fortunately, their equipment is built well enough that this is usually not an issue for many years.

will5649

Reaction score
Thank you Dittohead for all your help!! I really appreciate it and will call them asap. Thanks again : )

Shannon

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Seriously, was it that difficult? Thanks Tom for pointing out the obvious. :)
Ah but... you didn't say what he says you meant to say. You said;

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ditttohead

A properly sized dual tank system like this should not be too expensive.

I think the proper word is like THAT.

Otherwise "like this" reads as if it was an incomplete Link.

And who other than Tom and you refer to a filter for chlorine and a softener as a "dual tank system", which usually defines or refers to, a twin tank softener?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might want to loosen the straps on that tin foil helmet of yours. I think it's pinching off the blood supply to your brain.

horse.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks