Culligan N8 Custom Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Xonid

Reaction score
Hi - I've been lurking trying to find an answer but haven't seen one.. So decide to register and ask..

I have 15+ year old Culliigan N8 Custom, it's been working fine up until 6 weeks ago. The motor/valve was stuck in the open position causing it to continually discharges. After disconnecting the valve from the motor arm, I can manually push the valve close. So it looks like the motor has seized up, but since I'm not completely sure and can't find a replacement motor anyway, I've decided to replace it.

So to the replacement question, is it possible to swap out the N8 with another unit, non-culligan, with out a lot of hassle. Basically, can I use the current bypass valve and direct replace with a Fleck or something else into it? The bypass valve is a "Cul-Flo-Valv Bypass".

I'm trying to replace the unit with out re-plumbing the pipes if possible. My current choice to replace the N8 is a Fleck 5600sxt. I'm not also not sure about the height of the tank as well..

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

dino

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Post a picture of the unit with an emphasis on the existing plumbing. There are some excellent DIY installation methods if your plumbing is accessible.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can always use flex connectors if the piping does not line up with the old unit.

Xonid

Reaction score
Here's some pictures. The pipes are accessible to re-plumb if needed. Thanks for the suggestions.

n8-4.jpgn8-1.jpgn8-2.jpgn8-3.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut the copper and slap a couple of 3/4" stainless flex connectors on. Piece of cake. You can even get the flex supplies with push on fittings

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...ble-water-connector-34-ptc-x-34-fip-x-18.aspx
7138.jpg

Agreed, these work great, are inexpensive, and you can order the 5600SXT with the high flow plastic bypass and 3/4" plastic male connectors.

NOTE: Be sure to check local code for grounding requirements, you will be breaking the ground potential of your copper plumbing when you install the plastic connector. I also would not trust the falcon flex JG side to provide a proper ground potential either. A simple ground jumper will work http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-system-grounding-clamps/=hoj2iq 7599kp1l.png

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not replace the piston motor?
or replace the main piston and seal pack assembly?
There are new and used culligan parts that show up on E of Bay from time to time.

Xonid

Reaction score
Why not replace the piston motor?
or replace the main piston and seal pack assembly?
There are new and used culligan parts that show up on E of Bay from time to time.

I was looking for a bit, but never found the right parts... thanks

I installed the 5600sxt last week using the flex pipe and the Fleck by-pass valve. No major issues report besides having to use some teflon to stop the connections from leaking.

Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks