New efficiency standards

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
http://www.appliance-standards.org/sites/default/files/1009hvac_fact.pdf

For air conditioners, the implementation is a couple of years off, but as usual, we will start to see the impacts sooner as manufacturers have to make product line decisions, and state governments may choose earlier implementation. For furnaces, it starts in 7 months from now, in the northeast zone.

Probably not a bad Idea. Every little bit of energy savings adds up.

Now they have a reason to raise the unit price, and tell you how much money you will be saving on energy cost.

Longevity is yet to be seen on the new units.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Probably not a bad Idea. Every little bit of energy savings adds up.

Now they have a reason to raise the unit price, and tell you how much money you will be saving on energy cost.

Longevity is yet to be seen on the new units.
I was doing the math when deciding whether or not to go to a higher SEER unit and the ROI was something like 20 years, longer than the warranty.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I was doing the math when deciding whether or not to go to a higher SEER unit and the ROI was something like 20 years, longer than the warranty.

I would say that rarely does the higher cost of more efficient items pencil out. You just have to take pleasure in the fact that you are appeasing His Highness algore.

Reaction score

Depends on costs at the time. With manufacturer's rebate we were able to get the higher SEER unit for roughly the same price as the mid-range unit. However, the primary reason for going with the two stage system was comfort: running longer at 1/2 output has resulted in more even temp. distribution--I suspected it would, and it did.

Replacing an existing unit that is functioning rarely makes sense however. That is why it is important to have the standards for new construction.

Nice to see they are requiring 90% for gas heating in the colder winter zone.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks