Rough in shower install leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Rigger33

Reaction score
Here is what I've installed.
7004400434_993da69cf6.jpg
Here is what leaks. It's Blue Monster Pipe Thread Sealant.
7004397386_dc5f5f1c39.jpg
Only the hot water "in" leaks. but I'm assuming this is not how it's done. I should have probably soldered the fittings after tightening them the best I could?
7004400064_a11bb6066b.jpg
If soldering this close to the plastic workings inside do I remove them like I did for the mixing valve?

Any help/scrutiny/criticism is welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I don't suggest trying to solder that threaded connection.

There is no easy fix for this.

You need to properly clean and flux any future soldering you do here, and you need to remove the water from the lines.

Cut it or sweat something loose and get the male adapter tighter.

Rigger33

Reaction score
I don't suggest trying to solder that threaded connection.

There is no easy fix for this.

You need to properly clean and flux any future soldering you do here, and you need to remove the water from the lines.

Cut it or sweat something loose and get the male adapter tighter.

Thanks! Didn't think it would be an easy fix. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some trade secret that may have made this alittle more reassuring. After reading some similar incidents here I think I'll try the "overkill method" with tape then thread sealant.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've always done the tape and dope method on water feeds.
What always is the issue for me is heating the cup just long enough to get solder to wick in without heating it too long to affect the dope in the threaded end just like yours. I turn on the water and pray there are no leaks when you're working in a tight spot like that where do over is a 23@@!#$$

Rap

Reaction score
As mentioned above, cut/free the cu supplies, and wind-out, clean and remake the adapters - all of them. Wrap tape twice around the threads and then dope them.
Thread them back in. Before cutting the cu. tubes, clean the area of the cut, it will make it easier when you sweat connectors to re-assemble the rig.

Never sweat one end of a made/in-situ IPS fitting. Solder on a short stub of cu. before threading an adapter into a body. The stub can be cut to the required length. Always remove the works from a to be soldered valve. Any valve.

Rap

Reaction score
But in the clearances of the OP valve and , there's not alot of room to solder and the thread the onto the body

If there's not enough room to spin the adapters out then cut twice, on the straight pipe beyond the 90 and between the 90 and the adapter. Wether the OP uses new material or pulls apart and re-assembles the existing mats. is up to him. AAMOI: i should re-make all five adapters - do it now, not when it later possibly leaks in the wall. I speak as a veteran of quick fixes.

Another method would be to cover the adapter and valve tapping with a frozen, damp cloth,and sweat the 90 away from the adapter ( wear gloves ) then remake the join as above.. Using this method i should pre-remove all vulnerable works from the valve.

AAMOI: I shouldn't attempt to sweat the adapter into the valve body, because if it doesn't take then you'll have quite a job merely getting the adapter back out - leave that technique to plumbers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks