Problem with the Flapper on American Standard Cadet 3, 4027.016 toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

John Milich

Reaction score
The flapper on the American Standard Cadet 4027.016 toilet leaks.
The water level in the tank drops to the extent that, following each flush, the fill valve turns on every 20 minutes.
After replacing the flush valve three times and the flapper five times, including the installation of a brand new, out-of-the-box American Standard Cadet 4027.016 toilet, we obtained the same result on each occasion: a leaking flapper.
My plumber and I have concluded that this is due to a basic design flaw in the flapper of this American Standard model.

We have spoken with American Standard tech support who absolutely denies that there's such a design flaw, leaving us with few options.
The big question: Is there a flush valve from another manufacturer that's compatible with this model?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cookie

Reaction score
Rather than a design flaw it sounds like a manufacturing flaw with the flush valve. As far as I know, I have never heard of this problem with their flappers. The design has worked for a long time flawless. Or, it could be a flapper manufacturing flaw. Bring the toilet back and go to an entirely, different big box store, ie, if you bought it at Lowes' go to HD.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would first make sure that the fill tube is not placed down the overflow tube.
Doing that will siphon the tank.

Other then that, it is a puzzle.

fm_fillvalve_siphon.jpg

fluidmaster-adjustable.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Simple test, run your finger around the seal where the flapper goes. If it has a lump or divot in it, no flapper will seal properly.

Cookie

Reaction score
It could be the two arms that hold the flapper have a manufacturing problem not allowing the flapper to fall flat on the valve.

Timberdinky

Reaction score
The flapper on the American Standard Cadet 4027.016 toilet leaks.
The water level in the tank drops to the extent that, following each flush, the fill valve turns on every 20 minutes.
After replacing the flush valve three times and the flapper five times, including the installation of a brand new, out-of-the-box American Standard Cadet 4027.016 toilet, we obtained the same result on each occasion: a leaking flapper.
My plumber and I have concluded that this is due to a basic design flaw in the flapper of this American Standard model.

We have spoken with American Standard tech support who absolutely denies that there's such a design flaw, leaving us with few options.
The big question: Is there a flush valve from another manufacturer that's compatible with this model?

There is at least one problem. some flappers hang up in the "arms" that hold the flapper - thus causing the flapper to occasionally not close completely - just cost me $ 45 in extra water/sewer bill USING a FLUIDMASTER # 540 Flapper adjusted so that NO drain holes, in the flapper, are open [adjustment ring set to '10'].

I find the Korky 3" universal Flapper # 3060, to have NO adjustment that works correctly (for this toilet). To use this flapper, you have to train yourself to hold the flush handle down for a few extra Milli-seconds, else you will not get enough water flow to do the job. Adjust this flapper to all drain holes CLOSED.

MY CONCLUSION - the the two arms that hold the flapper have a manufacturing problem - perhaps too "wide" to allow easy rotation? Thinking of replacing the tubing arms.

I'm still wading thru the (excellent) forum, looking for a SOLUTION - thank you

ONE MORE thought - perhaps a slight change in the height (from toilet tank bottom) and/or a slight change in the angle of the circular opening of the surface whereon the flapper rests, would facilitate better flapper sealing?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks