drake II leak at tank bolt

Users who are viewing this thread

MandK

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have a very slight drip at one of my tank bolts on a Drake II. It was a new install last week.
I sanded the inside of the tank at the bolt hole as instructed here. But, I may have not sanded enough and may have tightened the washer too much.

I'm going to remove the tank and re-sand and re-seat the washer. Should I use the same washer or did I compress it too much and therefore damage it?

Thanks!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may want to tighten the large nut on the flush valve while you are at it.
Sometimes that leaks, and the water shows up at the bolt location.

MandK

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I'll admit that I skipped that step because I simply do not have a wrench big enough. I guess it's time to get one.

But, do you think I can re-use the tank bolt rubber washer?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The rubber washer will be fine.

toto-tank-parts.jpg

Last edited:

MandK

Reaction score
snugged up the large nut, re-sanded the bolt holes and I'm back in business. Nice and dry.

thanks to a great forum.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I have NEVER had to "sand" the bolt holes on any toilet.

The only time I hit the holes with sandtape is when I'm doing a repair and the old bolt was steel. My bolt heads are bigger too so that crust needs to come off. New toilets,never.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
hj and Hackney,
My customers install the toilets I sell them perfectly every time. It's not that hard.

I agree with the "it's not that hard" part. As far as the homeowner installing them perfect every time.......that might be wishful thinking.

MandK

Reaction score
Dr. Terry....I'm in trouble again. My Drake II "leak at the tank" saga continues. This will be 4th time taking the tank off to stop a leak. This is a brand new installation.

After sanding the bolt holes and tightening the large nut....the leak got WORSE!!! It was dry for a day or two, then this morning I hear a steady drip hitting the floor. I called Toto tech support. They recommended another half turn on the tank bolts and removing the large nut completely and check for any debris at the seal. But, run a food coloring test first to pinpoint the problem.

Have you ever had a stubborn leak problem like mine to solve? Do you have any other expert advice to add?

Thank you!

Marc

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
With your experience and toilet knowledge it would be better for you to start over with a new tank. You may have a defect and not be able to tell.......randomly tightening things is not the best idea.

MandK

Reaction score
I get what you guys are saying, but we're talking about mounting a tank to a bowl and not trying to calibrate high tolerance parts. yes, I'm a DIY guy, but in my opinon should not be this difficult. I'm trying one last time and then asking Toto for a tank replacement under warranty. How they will determine that I have no idea.

Again, thank you.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I get what you guys are saying, but we're talking about mounting a tank to a bowl and not trying to calibrate high tolerance parts. yes, I'm a DIY guy, but in my opinon should not be this difficult. I'm trying one last time and then asking Toto for a tank replacement under warranty. How they will determine that I have no idea.

Again, thank you.

Yes we are talking about mounting a toilet tank.......its so easy an idiot can do it.

MandK

Reaction score
Can you briefly explain and enlighten me as to why a tank installation requires more knowledge and experience than your above-average DIY guy?

It obviously does or I wouldn't continue to have a leak. I really just would like a lesson why I should have called a plumber instead. no sarcasm.

Last edited by a moderator:

MandK

Reaction score
Yes we are talking about mounting a toilet tank.......its so easy an idiot can do it.

Apparently not. I will call a plumber next time. But, a brief education as to why a tank install is a difficult process would enlighten me.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tank is an easy installation.
Two bolts that tighten up. If you have tried everything, there could be something wrong. Sometimes I will tap a tank with my knuckles to see if it rings or if it has a dull sounding thuck! If there is a hair line crack, that could be a problem. Cracks can occur from being dropped, or from over tightening. That's one thing we look for. Without being there and seeing the tank, it's hard to say more though. In a perfect world, you pull the tank from the box and stick it on. Assuming everything is good. But DIY? Absolutely!

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Apparently not. I will call a plumber next time. But, a brief education as to why a tank install is a difficult process would enlighten me.

I was joking :) Installing the tank is DIY like Terry said. Everyone gets a "callback" from time to time. As a pro I would consider taking a tank with me if I had a "callback" like your having with your Toto tank. That way if I went back to the house and couldn't determine for sure why it was leaking in a reasonable time period I would just replace the tank and check why it leaked later.

Things are not always as easy as it looks....or as easy as a pro makes it look. I like it when a customer stands around and likes to watch....Especially with faucet repair. They will ask...."Do you mind me watching you...I want to learn?" I say ..."No I do not mind you watching but good luck keeping up......and good luck remebering what I did by the time it needs to be done again" LOL

I can work on some faucet literally blindfolded.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks