Unknown rubber washer with my Drake II (see pic)

Users who are viewing this thread

MandK

Reaction score
Hi Again,

This came with my Drake II, but have no idea what it's for and it's not shown in the parts list. Only (1) was included.

Has anyone seen this?

washer.jpg

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thats a cone washer for the water line connection to the ballcock. You dont need it if you use the ugly stainless braided supply line.

MandK

Reaction score
OK. Thanks.

I'm using braided because I had one in the garage. What does a good looking supply line look like?

Spacepod

Reaction score
I noticed this too. Had this washer leftover but I am using a new stainless braided supply line (which I think looks great). :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think most manufacturers include the rubber washer in case a solid riser is being used.
I used to use a lot of the closet risers with the flat end; those wouldn't use the washer. I find that a flexible supply line is a bit quieter on the refill. It seems to isolate the vibration. And I'm all about keeping things quiet.

The washer is nice though if you're using solid tubing without the end.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Obviously there are differences in opinion about solid tubing and flex tubing. It appears the flex tubing with the braided stainless steel mesh is preferred by most, especially DIY.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A solid line probably is better, but it does take more skill and time. In many installations, it's hard to see the silly thing, and a flex hose will take an occasional knock from a broom or mop probably better than a solid connection, but it would have to be fairly hard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks