Bathroom re-model plumbing repair possible problems with old plumbing!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Carloliveira

Reaction score
First off I just want to thank you for your help before hand.

Planning a bathroom remodel and updating the plumbing to PVC but not replacing the vent pipes going up to the attic and out the roof, will mate them to pvc using threaded adapters. After an initial look at what needs to be replaced I believe that there are some problems that need to be addressed when replacing the old pipe and fittings, mostly fittings problems. I have attached a drawing and circled numbers next to the areas i believe are a problem.Please tell me what the fitting should be replaced with in order to make this system up to code.....

Bathroom Plumbing Drawing.jpg

number 1 - a vent tee where i think a sanitary tee should be
number 2 - a sanitary tee on its back where waste elbow or combo wye should be do i really need a cleanout here
number 3 - a sanitary tee on its back where a combo wye should be

could i use another waste elbow before problem number 3 ( at combo wye ) is it really required to have so many cleanouts?

any other issues you see?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Sanitary tee's should only be used for drainage in the vertical position.

Use a combination wye & 1/8" bend (aka 45) or a long sweep 90 to transition from vertical to horizontal.

For the cost of a cleanout it is a wise investment.

Are you getting a plumbing permit?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. Yes.
2. I would use a long sweep 90 instead of the tee and install the cleanout in the riser above the new sanitary tee.
3. What is that tee being used for?
4. You also do not need the cleanout on the end of the combo fitting.
5. somewhere that pipe on the right side has to turn and run vertically, not horizontal the way you show it.
6. I would also install a cleanout under the sink's tee.
7. Cleanouts should be where they are needed and be accessible. Many installers put them where they THINK they should be, or where they are easiest to install, without any concern about whether the can actually be used when the line gets plugged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks