water heater and melted fuse?

Users who are viewing this thread

cidgrad98

Reaction score
This morning I noticed I had no hot water and after further investigation of my water heater I noticed the separate electrical shut off to water heater (at least I think that is what it is) was melted (not actual fuse in my fuse box)... I uploaded 2 pictures to explain since my terminology is probably wrong b/c i'm not a plumber.

The only thing that has recently changed is we had a plumber replace the anode with a special zinc anode we got from the manufacturer. This was to get rid of the sulfer smell as we are on a well and evidently the aluminum anode causes that (per manufacturer recommendation)

Has anyone ever seen this?

Attachments

• WaterHeater6.jpg
    WaterHeater6.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 613
  • MeltedFuse1.jpg
    MeltedFuse1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 633

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That is a quick disconnect. Looks like you may have to replace it.

You most likely had an element go bad and it took out the quick disconnect, although it may have been just a bad connection at the disconnect.

You should call a plumber.

cidgrad98

Reaction score
OK thanks for the response. I would have thought it would trip the breaker on the quick disconnect instead of melt it. Is that common?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes it should have tripped the breaker, but I don't know what brand of pannel you have.

Federal Pacific is notorious for causing fires because they don't trip when they should. I have seen wires fuse and melt apart, direct short, and the breaker not trip.

Your disconnect may have had a bad connection.

I can't tell fron here, just call someone.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
melting

A loose fitting disconnect "plug" or wire would create a high resistance point which would overheat and melt the unit, but not create an overload which would have tripped the breaker. Check whether you have aluminum wires coming into the box and copper wires going to the water heater. That situation can cause the overheating.

jwpatrick1

Reaction score
That is a quick disconnect. Looks like you may have to replace it.

You most likely had an element go bad and it took out the quick disconnect, although it may have been just a bad connection at the disconnect.

You should call a plumber.

I know this is an old post, but there may be someone who searches and reaches it as I did. I wanted to note that while Cass is most likely correct in how it should be done, I can tell you from recent experience, that calling a plumber and him determining the fuse is melted only results in him leaving after accepting your service call payment and you then calling an electrician to replace the disconnect so the plumber can return another day to actually replace the water heater. At least that is the way it is done in Louisiana. If you identify a melted disconnect, you may as well go ahead and contact the electrician first. It might save you some of the eight days it is taking me to get a hot water heater replaced.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; , I can tell you from recent experience, that calling a plumber and him determining the fuse is melted only results in him leaving after accepting your service call payment and you then calling an electrician to replace the disconnect so the plumber can return another day to actually replace the water heater

That depends on the plumber you call. I have replaced, and serviced, many "disconnects", whether a part of a heater replacement or because they were causing hot water problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks