Stems replaced, shower still drips. Old American Standard stems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Obi-Sean

Reaction score
AS-18293-0200-2.jpg

That is what I'm working with here. It's a really old Am. Std. stem that won't quit dripping. Model #18293-0200. I've replaced both hot and cold with brand new stems and have had no success.

I've had a "plumber" come out (he wasn't really a plumber, but he knows quite a bit about it, and the landlord paid this guy so...), as well as a friend of mine who is somewhat of a handyman, and neither of them can get this drip to stop. I even have a valve in place just before the shower head. If I turn on the water, then apply the valve, no water gets out except a small drip that is slightly heavier than "normal", which is expected. When I turn the water off, bleed the pressure, and turn the valve back on, the dripping stops for about a minute until the drip OVER-POWERS THE VALVE. That last part there is blowing my mind. It has now been dripping for about 3 months solid. Any suggestions?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The rubber washer on the end of the stem mates or 'seats' on a fixture in the valve appropriately called the seat. They are often replaceable. It's likely that those are bad, and it may have damaged the new ones. Assuming they are removeable, you need a special (inexpensive) wrench to take them out. Since the old seats are likely cracked and pitted, they've likely eaten up the new washers on the new stems.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The "seat" is whats in the pic above,the stem screws into it.. It has an o ring on it...well the replacements do. Thats an american standard renew. AKA barrels.

guyinsb

Reaction score
Yeah, I got that stem too

I maintain an apartment with a dozen of those old American Standard shower valves.
I have replaced stems many times, always able to stop the drips.
Only infrequently have I had to replace the barrel (which incorporates the "seat").
But in a tough case like this, I would definitely replace the barrel along with the stem.

https://picasaweb.google.com/112652995081934659158/FinishPlumbing#5719887864434702738

jkravec

Reaction score
I have the same problem

View attachment 15444

That is what I'm working with here. It's a really old Am. Std. stem that won't quit dripping. Model #18293-0200. I've replaced both hot and cold with brand new stems and have had no success.

I've had a "plumber" come out (he wasn't really a plumber, but he knows quite a bit about it, and the landlord paid this guy so...), as well as a friend of mine who is somewhat of a handyman, and neither of them can get this drip to stop. I even have a valve in place just before the shower head. If I turn on the water, then apply the valve, no water gets out except a small drip that is slightly heavier than "normal", which is expected. When I turn the water off, bleed the pressure, and turn the valve back on, the dripping stops for about a minute until the drip OVER-POWERS THE VALVE. That last part there is blowing my mind. It has now been dripping for about 3 months solid. Any suggestions?

I have the same problem with my old American Standard valve, we you able to figure it out, because I did not yet

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks