New tank bolt design in Mansfield 160s

Users who are viewing this thread

johnsmith9875

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
I just bought a 160 tank and am re-purposing a 135 bowl in order to replace a very old wasteful 3.5GPF toilet. I noticed that the tank uses these rather odd tank bolts. They have big rubber heads, no retaining washer/nut combo, then they're fastened down to the bowl with nylon nuts at only 3 ft/lbs. Seems like a formula for failure/leaks to me, as I've had to replace Mansfield tank bolts before due to leaks. I've always guessed the contractor didn't know what he was doing because I found plumbers putty and the only thing holding the bolts in place was the wing nut underneath the bowl, no washer on the underside of the tank! Regular tank bolts have rubber washers on both sides and they're securely fastened with a washer and nut. It looks like the new Mansfield design would leak the moment the rubber aged a bit.

Should I use these dodgy bolts? Mansfield claims its a "patented design" and leakproof, but then again its Mansfield.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I use Wolverine Brass tank bolts. They have a nylon reinforced rubber washers and two sets of nuts and heavy washers for each bolt. All heavy brass. They have large bolt heads that almost cover the entire washer....not allowing the bolt head to cut into the washer. I use one rubber washer under the bolt head,slip the bolt through the tank and secure with one brass washer and one nut. Repeat for the second bolt. The install the tank on the bowl. Now one rubber washer under the bowl,one brass washer and then the nut.

Mansfield still using three bolts?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm a bit puzzled. You say you are trying to "re-purpose", whatever that means, this old Mansfield toilet like it is really a valuable, top quality toilet. Then later you refer to Mansfield "patented design" as though Mansfield really can't be trusted to make accurate statements. I guess my problem is I don't know if you are attempting a cheap patch job on this thing, or if you think this is going to be a fine fixture in your home. I'd point out that there are many very good toilets available today that are not out of sight in price. I'm thinking of one of the Toto Drake models in particular, but there are others.

johnsmith9875

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
I'm a bit puzzled. You say you are trying to "re-purpose", whatever that means, this old Mansfield toilet like it is really a valuable, top quality toilet. Then later you refer to Mansfield "patented design" as though Mansfield really can't be trusted to make accurate statements. I guess my problem is I don't know if you are attempting a cheap patch job on this thing, or if you think this is going to be a fine fixture in your home. I'd point out that there are many very good toilets available today that are not out of sight in price. I'm thinking of one of the Toto Drake models in particular, but there are others.

Well I'm going from a really bad toilet to an average one, so its a step up in this case. I'm not too worried as I'm planning to sell this house in the near future anyway. I have been looking closely at the Totos for my other house though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks