No-Barrier Shower Base/Receptor/Stall

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephenson

Reaction score
Last post on same remodel was related to drain issues and potential for all tile wet room concept.

After considering concrete excavation and time issues (never enough), I am now considering a receptor with very low (3/4" or so) lip (I don't want a "ramp," just an extended lip) ... problem is that I can't find many choices ... appears to be a specialty item with few manufacturers ...

http://www.barrierfree.org has a few examples, but everything is pretty much ship to order - would appreciate info on manufacturers ...

Thanks!

Stephenson

Reaction score
Thanks, Jimbo ... the schematic shows a 7/8" lip, but it looks vertical and is designed to connect up to the ramp ... while this works, it looks to be an ad hoc way to solve the problem ... have seen at least one design with a complex angle approach for the lip that looks like it would keep water in pretty well ...

Stephenson

Reaction score
Just found another supplier - American Reinformed Plastics - Tacoma ... Model# S-6034-BFP ... 1 1/2" lip from outside, but 3/4" of that would be eaten up by the adjoining tile work ...

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Check out the AKW line.

Very low build up and with a little 1/2" cement board outside the shower you can build a barrier free shower.

JW

Stephenson

Reaction score
Just found another - comfortdesignsbathware.com ... several shower solutions - don't know if the base can be used a s standalone receptor, yet.

Stephenson

Reaction score
Found another supplier - Aker by Maax ... enclosures only, and a bit simpler design with a 2" vertical lip ... the tile will take about 3/4 inch so should be able to still roll over the lip. Probably not ADA compliant, but functional and may be better at retaining water inside.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Found another supplier - Aker by Maax ... enclosures only, and a bit simpler design with a 2" vertical lip ... the tile will take about 3/4 inch so should be able to still roll over the lip. Probably not ADA compliant, but functional and may be better at retaining water inside.

You do not want a lip of more than 1/2" if you plan to roll in.

Schluter makes a ramp for tile.

1 1/4" elevation change will need a tapered ramp a good 2' 1/8" to make rolling in easy. If the lip is on the inside you will not be able to get out or possibly even turn to your right or left.

Be careful with this and make a test rig before purchasing.

A custom tiled shower or a pan like I mentioned from AKW is a much safer bet for a better preforming shower.

JW

Stephenson

Reaction score
So, after checking out all the options, I had to eliminate Mustee (can't find a center drain in their line of low/no barrier), AKW (availability issue here likely related to shipping costs) ... further, after laying out on the floor, I really need a 30" depth to avoid interference and at least 60" length to allow suitable entry access. The only 30-32" depth one is from BestBath, and they have 3/4"-2" threshold lips - if I were to go with 2", the tile would net it out to a bit over 1" ... which would still be OK - not ADA compliant but the shower will not be for "independent living."

Since I can't install an entire system with membrane, etc, perhaps the 2" would be best approach - it is going on concrete floor ... I understand the risks and will take extra care on sealing, etc.

Stephenson

Reaction score
Just got finished ...floor remodel done except for speakers, etc ...ended up using a Laskey (now Aquatic) located in South Boston, VA ...went to plant as it was near the house ...very nice products...got one of their low lip receptors and it installed no issues ...had brass drain connector fitting with it, even. Lip was kind of graduated, but front edge was only 3/4" so was perfect. Nice acrylic finish and very substantial with fiberglas structure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks