Pressure valve flooding house

Users who are viewing this thread

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
none of these other astute fellows has asked how old the heater was ,
or how long ago it was installed.....or who installed it for you
or how much damage was done to your home.....??

if you have high water pressure you probably should have
a thermal expansion tank at the very least on your heater
and you should change out the T+p valve....

if you have a FLOOR DRAIN the pressure relief valve pipe
should be piped and inserted directly into the drain... as long
as it does not stop up , it will prevent flooding in the future..
or pipe it to the laundry drain

I just left a job that sears did with no pan, no drain, no nothing
with the t+p pipe just going down to the slab floor....

if something has just recently been installed like this and it was
done by a plumber, and they did not offer you these options,
their insurance company should be on the hook for the damages....

if you had a hack from Sears or Lowes
install the heater recently, then its on you..

I personally would never insert a relief line INTO a floor drain. The floor drain could back up and clogg the relief pipe. Not likely to clogg it but possible depending on what backed up from the drain.

If a hack from sears or lowes installed the heater she would be golden as far as liability coverage......wouldn't you think MASTER Mark? Those guys are licensed and bonded,they are just plumbers subcontracting through the store.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
here is a Typical SEARS installation in town

I personally would never insert a relief line INTO a floor drain. The floor drain could back up and clogg the relief pipe. Not likely to clogg it but possible depending on what backed up from the drain.

If a hack from sears or lowes installed the heater she would be golden as far as liability coverage......wouldn't you think MASTER Mark? Those guys are licensed and bonded,they are just plumbers subcontracting through the store.

anything you can do to keep a flood from happenning is very wise.....

if you can insert the t+p down slightly into a floor drain,
I would suggest you do it.. I am not talking about cramming it down into
the bottom of the trap here....

the odds of a floor drain backing up and stopping up the t+p pipe is
close to impossible, or you can always give it an air gap of an inch above
the drain .
...... whatever you feel is best....

this is a common practice and it should be done over just putting the t+p
into the water heater pan and pipeing it over to a drain... the pan can be
over-whelmed by the sheer volume from the t+p ...
I know this from one I was involved in just last week
My own personal experience with a flooded pan
:mad:

I dont know when or whom did the work, or how long ago it was done either
so everyone will be heading for the hills looking for a rock to hide under if
she trys to turn it into her insurance.....that you can depend on....

here is one we tore out from Sears just on tuesday...this unit is about two weeks old...basically brand new..

there is no pan, no floor drain, no thermal expansion tank, the shut off valve cannot be gotten to behind the heater... this Sears unit also had the crapppy honeywell valve on it.

this was installed by a SEARS sub-contractor....
so would Sears have to pay the bill if the t+p valve
flooded this home ??? yes or no??

do you think would it have been wiser to pipe the t+p
over to the laundry drain about 5 feet over ?????

so what would you do to think
would make this a better install.????.

click to enlarge.
.. aint this something to be proud of??

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I hear, the rules on terminating the T&P valve's outlet have changed in the recent code books, so check carefully when installing a new WH. I gather from comments here that people don't think much of the Taco WAGS valve, but personally, I think it is a good idea - if water builds up to about 1/2" in the drain pan, it shuts both the WH and the water supply off...unless the tank has a catastrophic split, no floods. It's totally mechanical, no power (except the built-in switch to control the WH firing), and uses the same tech as the autoinflaters on a lifevest used in airplanes - a disk disolves when wet and a SS spring closes the water valve.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
wags and taco

From what I hear, the rules on terminating the T&P valve's outlet have changed in the recent code books, so check carefully when installing a new WH. I gather from comments here that people don't think much of the Taco WAGS valve, but personally, I think it is a good idea - if water builds up to about 1/2" in the drain pan, it shuts both the WH and the water supply off...unless the tank has a catastrophic split, no floods. It's totally mechanical, no power (except the built-in switch to control the WH firing), and uses the same tech as the autoinflaters on a lifevest used in airplanes - a disk disolves when wet and a SS spring closes the water valve.

the Wags is a one shot wonder,
once it gets wet, its over and you have to intsall a new one
I dont even know what they are worth, but they are not too popular

the t+p valve could barely weep a small stream and
trip this mechanism to go off.....

as far as the code goes, pipeing the t+p to the floor drain
is ok as long as their is an air gap...or it is laying on top the drain..

at least a dozen times we have gone out to homes where the water
heater was on the second floor and the t+p pipe was hanging in
mid air 5 inches above a 3 inch pvc cup that was used as a floor drain.
Normally, they are sunk and flush at the floor level so the pan could go into it also...
the t+p blew and half the water hit the drain
and the other half sprayed everywhere and flooded the home.
I feel its best to err on the side of caution and have that pipe
inserted into the drain and zipped tied off so it cant move.

I do whatever I think is best for the situation
that is presented to me to protect the property
from serious damage.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It takes about 1/2" of standing water to trigger a WAGS, but as far as I know, yes, once triggered, it must be replaced. In theory, it could be reset, but I've not looked into it. A little weeping into a pan should not be enough to trigger it unless the drain is plugged and it accumulates. What's worse, replacing it or maybe thousands of dollars of damage if it leaks all over. Plus, if the tank leaks faster than the fill, the burner could create other problems...but, if it is disabled, all's better. Think of it as an insurance policy.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I use 1.5" sch 40 pvc for my pan drains with a combination wye&1/8 bend near the outlet of the pan with a 2' stub of pipe vertical. I pipe the relief line indirect no more than 6" into this vertical riser off the pan drain.

The thermocouple adapter that the wags valve uses is useful for trouble shooting water heaters under load.

ST1300Rider

Reaction score
How to prevent massive H20 leaks...FloodStop Valves.

I am very sorry to hear of your flood.

I had one w/a washer that kept filling.

The thing going forward is how to prevent these super unknowns.

I use FloodStop valves(electric ball solenoid) on all my critical interior needs(fridge; eBidet and whole whouse water filter in my closet) and I don't worry about those...

FWIW...here is the link.

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp...&f=N&tp=120740&frompg=99&topg=99&menupage=975

It uses a sensor plate and when a drop of H20 hits it...it closes the water supply to "x"...ending the flood.

Hope it helps and again; sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
this is much, much better than a wags valve...:cool:

And what happens if this occurs while the power is off? Nothing...the water still flows. WAGS, it stops. Do you have any personal experience with a WAGS valve that jaded your thought? I've not used either, so am only looking at the 'features'. I'd really like to know.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
And what happens if this occurs while the power is off? Nothing...the water still flows. WAGS, it stops. Do you have any personal experience with a WAGS valve that jaded your thought? I've not used either, so am only looking at the 'features'. I'd really like to know.

I agree the wags valve is the most reliable way to stop the water flowing to a water heater incase of a leak.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website

I have not read the specs on either,
but it would seem that not having to plumb the wags valve into the water system in the bottom of the pan gives the flood safe valve a distinct advantage...

I have not looked at the specs, but I thought the flood safe valve also had a battery back up to it... but maybe not ,???

I also like the other feature that it can be a whole house shut off and it can also be incorporated into the alarm system for the home...... that also seems like a good feature...

I have not installed either one but if I had to choose one over another I would gamble on the flood safe,

the oddds that a power outage and a water heater failure at the same time seems rare
and i would be willing to take that chance...

perhaps someone ought to buy a wags and see how difficult it is to plumb and install into place.... I have NEVER EVER even stumbled across one in 40 years... that is how un-popular they are in this area..

thats all I got to say about that

images

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Plumbing it is pretty simple...run your supply down into the pan where you've located the valve, then back up to the WH inlet. It's your choice if you want to then use the internal switch to disable the burner if it trips. You're done. If it does get enough water in the pan, it trips (about 1/2" if I remember).

You could use that switch to trigger your alarm system as well, if you wanted.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
I am good with either system... but I dont think that
there is gonna be a run on either one any time soon.....

I could certainly see more applications for
the flood safe system in high rise condos ect.

If someone wanted the extra safety and security
I would probably show them both and let them choose

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks