Dishwasher Drain Hose

Users who are viewing this thread

RobR

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Bosch dishwasher that was professionally installed 9 years ago. I've had intermittent problems with it not draining and dirty dishes, but usually cleaning the filter and freeing the pump propellor does the trick. Not this time. I removed it from the cabinet and immediately noticed a couple of problems.

First, the bosch drain hosecomes out of the dishwasher, loops around on the floor for several feet, then goes stright up to the top of the cabinet where it held by a bracket. At this point, it connects to the original black rubber drain hose which takes a 180 degree turn straight back down to the floor, where it runs under the cabinet to the sink, and then goes up again to the disposal. So the water has to be pumped uphill twice, which it normally manages to do effectively.

At the point where the serrated hose goes through the bracket and connects to the black hose, it has kinked and split on the bottom. This has caused a small leak, and reduced the flow of water.

My question is: when I replace the bosch hose, would I be better off leaving it on the floor until it goes up into the disposal. I am able to get the black hose about 6 inches higher than the drain trap just before it enters the disposal.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
You need an air gap.you cannot just leave the discharge laying on the floor of the cabinet.

bosch-drain-2.jpg

Attachments

• air gap.jpg
    air gap.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,506

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You need an air gap.you cannot just leave the discharge laying on the floor of the cabinet.
An air gap would be preferred, but let's assume it is not required by your code, and it would be too hard to put one in now.
Nonetheless, the hose layout you describe is a nightmare. I am surprised it EVER worked. Chalk that up to a very good pump on the bosch.
You need the shortest amount of hose possible, and you need the "high loop", but you do have too many ups and downs , and too much extra hose. The kink will kill you.
Stick with the bosch because a GE or whatever would never pump your layout!

RobR

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
The pinched hose definitely is what caused the back-up. It bent and cracked under it's own weight exactly where it crossed the bracket and made the turn back down to the rubber hose. Of course, the appliance store did not have a new Bosch drain hose, so I cut the existing serrated hose with a blade, and mickey moused it to a pvc fitting using silicone and duct tape. I still kept the high loop in the dishwasher cabinet, but I softened the angle with another bracket. Bottom line is that the dishwasher now drains. But the new hose is on order anyway. The problem is that if I cut the hose to shorten it, I have to mickey-mouse the fitting again.

So it's Ok install with just one "high-loop" under the sink to minimize the ups and downs as opposed to the current high loop in the dishwasher cabinet and a "medium high loop" under the sink?

An air gap would be preferred, but let's assume it is not required by your code, and it would be too hard to put one in now.
Nonetheless, the hose layout you describe is a nightmare. I am surprised it EVER worked. Chalk that up to a very good pump on the bosch.
You need the shortest amount of hose possible, and you need the "high loop", but you do have too many ups and downs , and too much extra hose. The kink will kill you.
Stick with the bosch because a GE or whatever would never pump your layout!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a Bosch DW also, and I am sure your problem is the routing the hose takes. I use a high loop which is OK where I live, but the hose comes up to the underside of the cabinet, then through the sink cabinet sidewall and into the drain above the P trap. I do not have a disposal, but if I did, the hose would go into the disposal. No extra loops and twists. I made sure the hose would not kink at the top. BTW, you can buy drain hose in any hardware store by the foot. No need to order it from a dealer. I'm sure their markup is huge!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks