Capp off galvanized water line under slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Backwoods

Reaction score
I'm demoing a bathroom and converting to a hallway. The sink was right in the middle of my new doorway on a load bearing wall. The supply line, 1/2" galvanized pipe ran into wall and down into slab. I have chipped away at concrete down about 2" and want to jackhammer back to the main line but it's running under the wall about 3' to main supply. I need to keep water flowing to another bathroom beyond this one. My question is, is there a compression fitting I can use that would be dependable or do I need to thread the pipe where I cut it below concrete? I've heard compression fittings are not recommended for galvanized pipe. Any help would be appreciated as I need to move on with the project. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can you get down to the T, unscrew the stub, and then put in a plug?

Galvanized is a time bomb...underneath a slab is a worry.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Capping off galvanized water line under slab

I posted last night but it is gone this morning, maybe a dumb question, I dunno. Anywhow, I've demoed a 1/2 bath to make a hallway thru it. The sink was in the middle of new doorway to hall. The galv pipe ran from sink into bearing wall and down into slab. My question is there a compression fitting anyone would recomend or does it need to be threaded? The pipe runs under the wall for approx 3' to another supply line to where the toilet was. I need to leave the water flowing to another bathroom beyond. Any help will be appreciated. I'm a carpenter and new to the area I'm in. No plumber can be available until Monday and I need this done now. I can do it just, don't have experience with galv. pipe and being under slab I need to get it right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There has to be a fitting where it turns and goes horizontal under the wall. Remove the pipe from that fitting and install a plug in it. Every threading option will take a much larger hole than you have, or want to make.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Thanks alot. I'm going to get jackhammer after lunch. I think I'll try to get down to the elbow where it goes horizontal and plug it. I guess I was hopin for easy fix and shoulda known better. I appreciate the feedback and will let ya know how it went.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you were trying to seal the pipe without breaking the concrete, HOW did you expect to do it below the floor? If it is a bearing wall, the pipe will be in a "grade beam" under the concrete, so you may need more than a "little jack hammer".

Backwoods

Reaction score
I knew I was going to have to get into the slab. I used a small chipping hammer and am down 2 to 3 inches. Was thinking maybe a compression fitting would be sufficient. I'm not sure if it is all in the footer. Surely they didn't pour water line length of the grade beam thats another reason I was hesitant about jack hammering because not sure how deep it is. It's a very old building, but the pipe seems to be in relatively good shape. I have a 90# jackhammer and will get on it first thing in the morning. After reading on here and other discussions a compression fitting doesn't seem to be a option and I don't have a threading tool but can probably rent one if I have to. Thanks for the response and ideas

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I knew I was going to have to get into the slab. I used a small chipping hammer and am down 2 to 3 inches. Was thinking maybe a compression fitting would be sufficient. I'm not sure if it is all in the footer. Surely they didn't pour water line length of the grade beam thats another reason I was hesitant about jack hammering because not sure how deep it is. It's a very old building, but the pipe seems to be in relatively good shape. I have a 90# jackhammer and will get on it first thing in the morning. After reading on here and other discussions a compression fitting doesn't seem to be a option and I don't have a threading tool but can probably rent one if I have to. Thanks for the response and ideas

Alot of people dont know it but a 3/4 sharkbite cap will slip over and seal around a 1/2" galvy pipe in new condition. I did it for kicks and hydrotested it to over 200lbs for a few days.......then i dropepd the pressure to 90 psi and left it for 6 months. Thats with no vibration,no flow,etc.....it was on a test bench.

Rap

Reaction score
Just saying, without knowing the lay-out, but can you see your way to abandoning the in-place galv. and picking up your supply (s) beyond any heroic jack-hammering, and then snaking through say, plastic pipe. Even though there will be further disturbance, perhaps if you do now what will have to be done eventually ie. replacing the galv. then you will be ahead of the game.
Dont, of course, cut off the galv. until you have everything new, tested and in position.
What do i know, anyway it's just a thought.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Replacing the galv. is not a option right now. I have used the sharkbite before on old quest and above ground, they work great. But I'll be hammerin tomarrow. I'll feel alot better getting it capped at a threaded joint. Any specific dope for the threads??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming the threads are intact when you unscrew the pipe, any pipe dope, applied properly, and the plug well seated should seal the now unused port.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would leave open a day or two to confirm that there are no leaks !

Or at least overnight

plumbers know that when you mess with old glavy, especially under ground any vibration can do unexpected things maybe down the line somewhere from your hole may take a little while to show up

Backwoods

Reaction score
Gotter done today. actually yesterday since its 1:25 AM here in Show-Me State. Jacked it out with no problems. The elbow was only 5" down, right at bottom of concrete. Wasn't in the grade beam at all. 18" pipe wrench and a 24" breaker bar and a 1X4 backer to keep the whole thing from twisting it came off fairly easy. It's capped and water back on with no leaks. Would ya'll suggest wrapping it before I pour it back tomarrow, assuming it's not leaking when I go back in the morning. What do I wrap it with? You know, I'm just a 'ol worn out carpenter who has to "gett er done" and would of hired a plumber in a heartbeat to do this but short notice and on a weekend couldn't find one to do it, and I can understand why now, it wasn't that bigga deal. But hey, it's old galvanized pipe under a slab, I didn't have any idea what I was up against. So I'm glad I found this forum for some advise. Thanks all! And hj I won't post a pic, 'cause your right, it won't impress anyone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks