Basement Closet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

KStatefan

Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing my basement. The plumbing was roughed in during construction. I think I have every thing figured out but how to install the closet flange. The drain pipe is two inches below the surface of the floor after I put the finished floor in it will be 2 1/2" below. Do I need to dig the out and extend the drain up?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing my basement. The plumbing was roughed in during construction. I think I have every thing figured out but how to install the closet flange. The drain pipe is two inches below the surface of the floor after I put the finished floor in it will be 2 1/2" below. Do I need to dig the out and extend the drain up?

What type pipe is it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A toilet is designed to work on at least a 3" pipe but a 4" is generally the largest used; since the outlet of the toilet is generally in the 2-3" range, a 3" pipe won't present any obstructions.

With a 3" drain pipe, you want a toilet flange that fits on the outside of the pipe, not the inside which would make it too narrow (on a 4", you could install one on the inside). Since you aren't supposed to go from a bigger pipe to a smaller one, only the other way, you should maintain the size you have. If it's only 2.5" below, you may need to actually cut some off to be able to get a coupling in there and have enough room to then fully seat the toilet flange to the stub sticking out.

How far down does the pipe go before it makes a bend? Or, double-check, it's possible that you are seeing a hub, and not just a piece of pipe. If it's a hub, the ID will be 3.5", if it's a stub of pipe, it would have an ID of 3" (or 4"). The wall thickness on pvc is about 1/4" times 2, giving you the 3.5" ID of a hub. If it's a hub, then that makes life easier, as you can insert a stub with the flange on the end.

The toilet flange is designed to be installed on TOP of the FINISHED floor and anchored into the floor. If tiling, then you'd want to probably notch the tile for the screws so you don't have to drill through the tile later - this can be done, but it's much easier to notch it and then only have to drill into the concrete which is MUCH softer than the tile.

KStatefan

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the pipe.

039a.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks