disposal backup in to other sink

Users who are viewing this thread

sspeed

Reaction score
When we bought this house nearly everything was wrong, down to the duct tape on electrical connections. While I've sorted most of it out, the disposal continues to elude me. When we turn it on it literally shoots water up in to the other sink.

From a layperson's point of view it all looks right, it has a baffled T which appears to be in the right spot, the disposal drain tube is higher than the trap, the disposal tube is level (despite how my awesome camera angle looks)... what is going wrong? Here are 3 pics...

20120116_143050.jpg

20120116_143044.jpg

20120116_143029.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would pull the p-trap and make sure the drain below isn't plugged.
If the drain is clear, then you shouldn't have water coming up the other drain.

Pipewrench

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does it do it when the disposal is completely clear with water flowing properly? If it has food in it and the bay is filling up then it tends to do it when you cut it on to clear it.

sspeed

Reaction score
It's usually when the disposal is not clear. I usually modulate the switch to get it moving and stop it from shooting out the other sink.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It's usually when the disposal is not clear. I usually modulate the switch to get it moving and stop it from shooting out the other sink.

It is shooting out the other sink ?

I find that very hard to believe.

Please post videos. That must be cool.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
You have a partial stoppage and the waste pipe need to be augered.
Snaked or rodded out.

Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Call a plumber or drain cleaning service co. To clear your kitchen sink drain into the main line and the water will stop coming back up into the sink !

DonL

Reaction score
I would pull the p-trap and make sure the drain below isn't plugged.
If the drain is clear, then you shouldn't have water coming up the other drain.

True that.

I still would like to see video of it "shooting out the other sink."

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We can see in the photo that your Tee appears to be the "baffle" type, so only some clogging should cause that back up.

Pipewrench

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like you are just moving a lot of water at one time with a good disposal. Looks like a badger 5. It wouldn't hurt any to install a new basket strainer too. You are missing the cross that is usually there. Doesn't sound like a blockage in the slab to me.

DonL

Reaction score
If it is "shooting out the other sink." just put a plug in the other sink and clear the obstruction, by using plenty of HOT water.

DonL

Reaction score
Sounds like you are just moving a lot of water at one time with a good disposal. Looks like a badger 5. It wouldn't hurt any to install a new basket strainer too. You are missing the cross that is usually there. Doesn't sound like a blockage in the slab to me.

Is there any such thing as a good disposal.?

They should not be allowed unless you have your own septic system, and have to deal with the problems that they cause to a sewer system. You would never own one, if you seen what is going down the drain.

They are right up there with Tampons, On most reasons are taxes have to pay for Sewer Blockage. Trash in so Called "Storm Drain" comes next.

Just me. I do apologize in advance. Go ahead and chew my ass out.

DonL

sspeed

Reaction score
Sorry for the Vimeo, my phone was having trouble posting to YouTube... this will take about an hour to be available..

[video=vimeo;35174932]http://vimeo.com/35174932[/video]

This is the mild case that it does it, sometimes it's high enough to hit you in the face, usually when water is sitting in the sink... The line from the sink has been completely replaced and snaked several times before it was replaced...

Pipewrench

In the Trades
Reaction score
Of course there is such a thing as a good disposal. Like I said, a badger 5. It's like I tell customers, they are intended for washing off a plate. Not cleaning out the fridge. It kinda comes down to "common sense". It's gotta travel through a 1 1/2 pipe to hit the 2 inch....

DonL

Reaction score
Yea, They also say that you can put bones in them.

I am not sold.

Most people do not care where it goes, Just as long as it gets Disapperated (Yes New Word). It must be FM.

DonL

Reaction score
Sorry for the Vimeo, my phone was having trouble posting to YouTube... this will take about an hour to be available..

[video=vimeo;35174932]http://vimeo.com/35174932[/video]

This is the mild case that it does it, sometimes it's high enough to hit you in the face, usually when water is sitting in the sink... The line from the sink has been completely replaced and snaked several times before it was replaced...

Guess that was nice, all 7 seconds. I must have missed it.

Thank you for the try, You must have a Iphone. lol

sspeed

Reaction score
Ha ha, you can see it pop up twice... not nearly as bad as it does sometimes, but just an example...

sspeed

Reaction score
Here's another one, showing what we are used to seeing...

[video=vimeo;35318005]http://vimeo.com/35318005[/video]

So, given this is just a Badger 5 moving a lot of water and the P-trap is open and drains nicely, what can we do to keep from getting splashed in the face each time?

sspeed

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the obvious solution as long as the drain is engineered correctly...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks