Any opinion on Goodman heat pumps?

Users who are viewing this thread

gplumb

Reaction score
A contractor has proposed Goodman 2 ton and 4 ton 16 SEER SSZ16 heat pumps for a friends house. I know the question of how good the Goodman units are has been asked before: they are low end units, the thickness of the sheet metal may not be as great as the better known brand unit, but the parts and manufacturing quality control are good. And something that is always mentioned - you must have a competent installer, but this is true of any brand.

The SSZ16 has an long list of features, such as; scroll compressor, sound blanket, filter drier, suction line accumulator, compressor short-cycle protection, liquid-line filter drier, high capacity muffler, high and low pressure switches, service valves, copper tube coil, etc. See the SSZ16 complete spec sheet on Goodman's website (http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/pdf/SS/SS-SSZ16.pdf).

What is the current opinion on the Goodman 16 SEER SSZ16 heat pumps with scroll compressors? What is its overall reliability? Is this heat pump missing features of comparable better known brands for a 16 SEER rating?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
They are the best, Made in Texas. lol

Springing for the extended compressor warranty may be a good thing.

Don't let the price fool you. They do back their product.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I assume that 16 SEER unit comes with a 10 year warranty?? All the more reason to have it installed by a top-notch contractor. He will be around to support the warranty, and even if not, Goodman will reconize that it was installed well and not hassle any subsequent repair contractor.

Goodman uses mainly Copeland compressors. Doesn't get better than that;

gplumb

Reaction score
I assume that 16 SEER unit comes with a 10 year warranty??
I assume that 16 SEER unit comes with a 10 year warranty??

Goodman SSZ16 heat pumps come with 10 year Parts and Lifetime Compressor Limited Warranties. If I go for the higher end DSZ16 which has a two stage Copeland compressor, two speed fan plus other features such as built-in diagnostic circuitry, the compressor warranty becomes a Unit Replacement warranty. I have not pursued the cost differential for that unit and think I am satisfied with the simpler SSZ16.

mikeinkirkland

Reaction score
They're cheap. I've put a couple in rental houses. One has been great the other has had multiple problems. I generally agree with gplumb above but caution the warranties are often subject to the units being installed/maintained by an authorized dealer, being used with the correct indoor coil units, etc. In other words, you may find a warranty claim being denied unless everything was done 100% to spec.

As for the "USA" part, that's hard to say. Many of the key components are farmed out to the lowest bidder--often China.

I've had the best luck with Trane (or their other brands like American Standard) being all but bulletproof. But they tend to cost more apples-to-apples then Goodman. From what I've been told there are only 4 or 5 manufactures of most central HVAC equipment in the USA (each offering various brands). There are still some differences, but I think they matter less than some like to think. Look at SEER ratings, warranties, features, price, etc. before the brand name.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
. From what I've been told there are only 4 or 5 manufactures of most central HVAC equipment in the USA (each offering various brands). .

Goodman ( Goodman, Amana, etc)
Ingersol Rand ( Trane group)
International Comfort Products ( Heil, etc)
Nordyne ( Gibson, Frigidaire, Comfort Range, etc)
United Technologies ( Carrier, Bryant, Payne, Day&Night)
Unitary Product Group ( York )
Lennox ( not sure who the parent is)
Rheem ( Rheem, RUUD, Weatherking, Duroguard, etc)

Anyone know any others?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks