Basement Plumbing Layout

Users who are viewing this thread

jpb123

Reaction score
Hello,

First post here. I am currently finishing my basement and have come to the stage of laying out the bathroom/laundry room. Please see the attached drawing. My home has a lateral sewer that is either a 3" or 4" (not sure, was built in 1953). This lateral tees off to a 3" stack that serves a full bathroom above. My intention is to open up the 3" line and to install a 3" wye connection that will serve a toilet, then wye off to a 2" line that will serve a bathtube, then wye off to a 2" line that serves a shower. I will vent the shower and tub via a 2" line (can I use 1.5"?) in the vertical, the toilet in a 2" to the vertical (which will also serve as the drain for a bathroom sink), and the laundry in a 2" line. These will all tie together before going to the roof. For the laundry, I was going to remove a floor drain that connects to the horizontal lateral and install a 2" line to serve the washer and a utility sink.

Any comments on whether my plan is appropriate or suggestions for layout would be greatly appreciated. The yellow highlight is new work and the orange is existing.

Thanks.

Attachments

• BPP.jpg
    BPP.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 642

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You can't connect the shower and tub drain in between the toilet and it's vent.
John

jpb123

Reaction score
You can't connect the shower and tub drain in between the toilet and it's vent.
John

Thanks! So I need to move the wye connection between the toilet vent and the main connection to the 3" line? Is everything else ok then?

jpb123

Reaction score
The way it is drawn, the tub is not vented and your vent at the toilet is useless.

Thanks for your response. I was going to drain the sink that will be located near the toilet through the 2" vent line. In regards to the tub and shower that will be adjacent to each other, what is the best way to have them share a drain line and share a vent? Would it be for the tub to drain toward the shower and then share a common drain back to the 3" main?

Thanks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My suggestion is to be specific with the layout of your fixture drains and then plan for every trap to have it's own vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks