Need to replace 4" Non-IC Thomas Lighting Can Lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Breakingcustom

Reaction score
I just recently blew in insulation in my attic to get to a R-49 level, but had to work around my 4" NON-IC can lights in my kitchen. It's getting winter time and I can definitely feel how cold the drywall is around those lights and I was planning on putting in rolled insulation near the lights (3"+ in away) and then using concrete tubes cut to form around the can lights and if it was possible to get spray foam around the hole opening for no air leakage. Is this possible?

Only 4" remodel IC rated can lights I've found are Lithonia L3R R6 and the one place that does have them online won't accept returns on them and our local electrical supplier wants $25/light. Don't really feel like spending close to $200 for 5 lights (adding the cost of the trims for them as well). If this is my only way it will be something I will have to do.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't need remodel lights. B/c you have attic access, you can use the new work brackets and install them from the attic side, then just bury the whole fixture in blown in insulation.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can make boxes (or cylinders) around the cans so they have 3-4" air gap all the way around them and you can insulate over that however you would like.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can make boxes (or cylinders) around the cans so they have 3-4" air gap all the way around them and you can insulate over that however you would like.

Well, there ya go, two different options for you. You should be able to get new work IC cans with trim for about $25 ea. total. Replacing them will let you get a fuller insulation (less heat loss), but costs more. Boxing them will be faster and cheaper, and probably sufficient for what you need.

If you're replacing, you might consider a different light source... I like the pin style (don't remember the name for that bulb atm) florescent 4" cans... the bulbs are about $5 each, but they last forever, don't get too hot, and save you energy.

Breakingcustom

Reaction score
The thing is the new work ones I saw might not work the greatest because 4" new work are pretty bulky and some of the can lights aren't that far from the ceiling joists and the holes wouldn't lie up where I currently have them, reason I went with remodels. Also, it's not the greatest working in the attic now since there is at least 2-3 times the amount of insulation as before.

I'm thinking of just doing my first idea and making boxes around them. I'm not sure if the concrete tubes at ******* would give 3-4" clearance. Worse comes to worse, I might just buy one of those Lithonia can lights to see if they would work.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
The thing is the new work ones I saw might not work the greatest because 4" new work are pretty bulky and some of the can lights aren't that far from the ceiling joists and the holes wouldn't lie up where I currently have them, reason I went with remodels. Also, it's not the greatest working in the attic now since there is at least 2-3 times the amount of insulation as before.

I'm thinking of just doing my first idea and making boxes around them. I'm not sure if the concrete tubes at ******* would give 3-4" clearance. Worse comes to worse, I might just buy one of those Lithonia can lights to see if they would work.

You'll still be working in the attic, though I guess if you make the covers first, the working time in attic would be shorter. You'll need a 12" tube to properly enclose a 4" light. You can get those at blue or orange. You should get 4 enclosures out of each tube, or possibly 5 depending on how tall your cans are. I'd use a piece of rigid foam for the cap and seal it up tight, then you can fill in all around it with blown in ideally. Spraying foam around the edges to seal it tight won't hurt.

Breakingcustom

Reaction score
Blue or orange? I think with 3 concrete tubes from ******* I can get all the can lights covered by cutting them in half. I believe the width of the tubes are 12".

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
Blue or orange? I think with 3 concrete tubes from ******* I can get all the can lights covered by cutting them in half. I believe the width of the tubes are 12".

"blue" and "orange" are how a lot of us refer to the two major chain big box stores. if you notice, whatever store name you're typing is getting starred out.

a typical concrete tube is 8, 10, or 12" in diameter. you'll want the 12" They're usually 48" long, so you should get more than 2 out of each tube. Unless your cans are taller than 9" from the back of the drywall, you should be able to get 4 out of one tube. Since you have 5, I'd buy 2 tubes and cut 3 out of each of them.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oh, and don't forget to seal up the slots you'll have to cut into the tube to let the electrical wires through to the light. You should be able to just tape them up and put insulation up against it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks