Key step to fix the Price Pfister bath diverter stem

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Like to share my hard lessons learned in the past few days while I tried to fix the diverter problem at my two bath rooms. I made several trips to local Home Depot and spoke to four different employees who have been plumber prior to working at HP. None of them can assist my problem.

Problem: Diverter knob cannot full divert 100% water to shower head for a shower set used for ~ 4 years.
After pull out the diverter stem, the diverter washer has random cracks / breaks around the outer diametrical edge.

Basis knowledge:
There are two types of washer to control the water flow direction. While turn the knob, or handle, clockwise, this stem moves forward and push the black washer [front most washer secured by a brass screw] against the metallic seat. This will stop water flows up to the shower head, direct 100% water to the spout, e.g. down to the bath tub.
While turn counter clockwise, the stem will pull the second washer [nylon material, beige / clear color and larger in ID and OD, which is pulled by the conical shape at the stem tip] against brass housing in the front. This diverter washer will stop water flows to the spout, all water will flow up to the shower head. While this diverter washer cracks, partial water will split to the spout.

Trial / Error fixing to final solution

1. Brought a new set of repair kits from Home Depot, ~ $6, replaced, both washers, the metallic seat inside the housing, the O ring and a black longer / thicker washer within the stem at the front section. Put the overhauled stem back, the problem getting worst, ~ 1/3 water down to the spout while divert the water to the shower head.
2. Brought the brand new diverter stem from Home Depot, ~ $13, model 9H-3D. Same problem as in fix step 1 above.
3. Call Price Pfister two days on the row, each time waited more than 15 minutes. No help at all.
4. Did the Google research, foundd the forum discussion under the "Terry Love's Plumbing and Remodel" today, 11-29-11. Saw a similar problem, one man suggested to replace with a thicker diverter washer, such as 3/8" union washer [PN 02-2004] from Larsen Supply, it may not last as long as the nylon washer.
5. Step 4 gave me a hint to use double diverter washers After I put doubler diverter washers, the problem solved. This second diverter washer is not cheap, need to buy the whole repair kit just for this part.

Hope this can help others. I will inform Home Depot Manager of the basic design issue of the Price Pfister hardware.

One question: Any one can suggest where to buy additional diverter washer alone? [repair kit or brand one
diverter stem only provide one of this washer].

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have NEVER had that problem, nor have I had to use "two diverter" washers. In fact, I never even try to repair a diverter stem, I replace the complete unit. NOW, however, since the stem is "double seated:, if the "body gasket" where the stem screws in is too thick it will NOT allow the diverter washer to "clamp" in the valve body, then you need a thinner body gasket, or Teflon tape, NOT two diverter washers.

pp_three_handle_stems.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We are happy that your shower is now working, but have some long-term concerns.

The PP shower is one of the most ubiquitous models in the country. I have repaired in the hundreds, I believe, and hj probably can add a zero to that figure. We can repair this one in our sleep, blindfolded!

I an not trying to toot my horn here. What I am saying is that neither of us has ever had the difficulty you describe. What I would recommend if your shower acts up again, is to do a thourough visual inspection of the interior of the divertere body area. We would be looking for loose pieces of debris...chunks of an earlier white nylon washer....which are interfering with your fit.

Call on us again if you need further help.

Price Pfister

Pfister Faucets
Reaction score
Website
www.pfisterfaucets.com
For the original poster "Mechanical Engineer Engke",

We're sorry to hear about the problem you’re experiencing with repairing our product. We want to address the problems you had and make sure your experience matches our standards of excellence.

Please provide some additional information:

* The model number of the product. If you do not know this, please follow these directions:
https://www.pfisterfaucets.com/how-to-center

* Any other specifics on the issue you’re experiencing
* A method to contact you (ex. email, phone, etc. (phone is preferred))
* Best time for contact (ex. mornings, evenings, etc.)

Please send this information to us at pfistersocial@bdhhi.com.

We apologize for your inconvenience and look forward to resolving this matter as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

The Pfister Team

Pfister is a part of the Stanley Black & Decker Hardware and Home Improvement (BDHHI) Group.

pp_three_handle.jpg

Reaction score
Hi HJ, Jimbo and the Pfister Team:

I am grateful for your recommendations and suggestions. I am sure enjoy the positive responses after I published my first forum article.

If I learn a better alternate way to fix the same problem from the Pfister team, or a single nylon washer with double the thickness, I will pass on information.

Best Regard.
Engke

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hi HJ, Jimbo and the Pfister Team:

I am grateful for your recommendations and suggestions. I am sure enjoy the positive responses after I published my first forum article.

If I learn a better alternate way to fix the same problem from the Pfister team, or a single nylon washer with double the thickness, I will pass on information.

Best Regard.
Engke

We are dying to hear if PP has any insight on your problem beyond what we have suggested. Please share your experience with us all.

pp_3v.gif

TSTheBeav

Reaction score
I have the same exact problem!!! Why doesn't PP just answer their phone. Very upsetting.
For the original poster "Mechanical Engineer Engke",

We're sorry to hear about the problem you’re experiencing with repairing our product. We want to address the problems you had and make sure your experience matches our standards of excellence.

Please provide some additional information:

* The model number of the product. If you do not know this, please follow these directions: http://www.pfisterfaucets.com/do_it_yourself/how_to.aspx
* Any other specifics on the issue you’re experiencing
* A method to contact you (ex. email, phone, etc. (phone is preferred))
* Best time for contact (ex. mornings, evenings, etc.)

Please send this information to us at pfistersocial@bdhhi.com.

We apologize for your inconvenience and look forward to resolving this matter as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

The Pfister Team

Pfister is a part of the Stanley Black & Decker Hardware and Home Improvement (BDHHI) Group.

TSTheBeav

Reaction score
Thank You

Thank you for giving the solution. I was on hold for 40 min with PP yesterday and 2 hours on their web site No help at all. After reading your solution i but the new and my old nylon washer on and bam I was down to 1% water to the tub. So I went back and procured a second nylon washer as mine was old and suspect. Now all is great, nice easy turn (Almost 1/2 rotation) and all water goes to the tub when you want or 100% to the shower head.

You are very kind Sir and deserve an award for giving the answer every one else seems afraid to give.

PS. Price Pfister Psucks!

Thank you again,

TSTheBeav@gmail.com

GaryTheBear

Reaction score
I had the same problem of the original poster. I'm glad I found this forum because I could not find any other helpful information on replacing the PP shower diverter stem.

However, adding a second seating wash is probably not the best solution. In my case I found that the nylon washer at the threads of the older diverter was still stuck in the fixture. The new diverter has a nylon washer so in affect there were two stacked washers and the diverter was not getting inserted all the way. I don't understand enough about how it works but it was the cause of water still coming out of the faucet while water was diverted to the shower.

After picking out the washer stuck in the fixture, then inserting the new diverter, reassembly everything, the shower diverter now works flawlessly.

This thread is 6 years old but still indexed on the internet. I hope my answer helps someone else out there!

Cheers!

Jackson356

Reaction score
Had the exact same problem as Eng Engke and went through the same process of time wasted with PP, talk at hardware chain, a new replacement diverter stem and countless online searches till I found this thread. 2 white nylon washers (instead of 1) solved the problem - no more water gushing into the bath while trying to take a shower.
Thanks Eng Engke!

Joan Defenbaugh

Reaction score
We are having the issue of the diverter not closing completely. Took off handle and trim. Can't get the cartridge out. How do you know if it's threaded cartridge or if it is the type where you can put the handle screw back on and do a push-pull with pliers to get it out.

Sandlotjoe

Reaction score
Like to share my hard lessons learned in the past few days while I tried to fix the diverter problem at my two bath rooms. I made several trips to local Home Depot and spoke to four different employees who have been plumber prior to working at HP. None of them can assist my problem.

Problem: Diverter knob cannot full divert 100% water to shower head for a shower set used for ~ 4 years.
After pull out the diverter stem, the diverter washer has random cracks / breaks around the outer diametrical edge.

Basis knowledge:
There are two types of washer to control the water flow direction. While turn the knob, or handle, clockwise, this stem moves forward and push the black washer [front most washer secured by a brass screw] against the metallic seat. This will stop water flows up to the shower head, direct 100% water to the spout, e.g. down to the bath tub.
While turn counter clockwise, the stem will pull the second washer [nylon material, beige / clear color and larger in ID and OD, which is pulled by the conical shape at the stem tip] against brass housing in the front. This diverter washer will stop water flows to the spout, all water will flow up to the shower head. While this diverter washer cracks, partial water will split to the spout.

Trial / Error fixing to final solution

1. Brought a new set of repair kits from Home Depot, ~ $6, replaced, both washers, the metallic seat inside the housing, the O ring and a black longer / thicker washer within the stem at the front section. Put the overhauled stem back, the problem getting worst, ~ 1/3 water down to the spout while divert the water to the shower head.
2. Brought the brand new diverter stem from Home Depot, ~ $13, model 9H-3D. Same problem as in fix step 1 above.
3. Call Price Pfister two days on the row, each time waited more than 15 minutes. No help at all.
4. Did the Google research, foundd the forum discussion under the "Terry Love's Plumbing and Remodel" today, 11-29-11. Saw a similar problem, one man suggested to replace with a thicker diverter washer, such as 3/8" union washer [PN 02-2004] from Larsen Supply, it may not last as long as the nylon washer.
5. Step 4 gave me a hint to use double diverter washers After I put doubler diverter washers, the problem solved. This second diverter washer is not cheap, need to buy the whole repair kit just for this part.

Hope this can help others. I will inform Home Depot Manager of the basic design issue of the Price Pfister hardware.

One question: Any one can suggest where to buy additional diverter washer alone? [repair kit or brand one
diverter stem only provide one of this washer].
Thanks Engke!
I have been struggling with this same problem for many years. I have a collection of old diverter stems, and along with those stems I had a couple extra diverter washers! I did exactly what you suggested, adding a second diverter washer. BINGO! No more streaming of water that wasn’t diverting! I was skeptical, since I have had a little success here and there over time, getting most of the water diverted. This was the best fix ever. No extra pressure needed when turning the handle to turn on the shower (which is where some of my prior success came from). Wish I would’ve found this forum back when you posted it. I found it by googling the problem and reading random links! If someone with the same problem is reading this, it works! Do it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks