Replacing Kitchen Faucet Pull-out Hose

Users who are viewing this thread

scuba415

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an older Delta kitchen faucet with a pull out handle with a leaky hose. The leak is about two inches from the pullout handle side, and is leaking right out of the flexible joints of the hose. I intend to replace the hose. Can someone please give me a few pointers on the procedure, as I have never done this before?

The end that attaches to the pullout handle looks simple enough, but under the sink where the other end attaches to the base of the faucet there is some type of clip that I am not familiar with, it is plastic and rotates freely. Also, should I be trying to attach the new hose from under the sink, or should I remove the faucet base from the counter top to get more access? It seems like it will be pretty tight trying to reach the clip at the faucet base end from under the sink. Are there any parts or special tools I might need other than the new hose? Will I need a basin wrench or does the pullout hose have a quick clip attachment?

Attached are a couple pics of the leak and the under sink attachment. leak.jpgunder sink.jpg

TIA

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOu put your finger between the two "prongs" and spread them apart while pulling on the hose. You do NOT need any tools. Pull the hose out of the faucet, slide the new one down and reinstall the clip after shoving the hose in as far as it will go. When those hoses break it is ALWAYS in that area. I have fixed many hoses with leaks like that, but it is not a DIY task.

scuba415

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply hj,

I haven't tried to take it apart yet because I don't have the new parts yet, but will follow your advice. Why do you say it is not a DIY task?

Thanks,
Steve

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply hj,

I haven't tried to take it apart yet because I don't have the new parts yet, but will follow your advice. Why do you say it is not a DIY task?

Thanks,
Steve

REPLACING it is DIY. hj said he can REPAIR the hose, which is apparently a gift from the plumbing god, because no other plumber in their right mind would try that!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; which is apparently a gift from the plumbing god, because no other plumber in their right mind would try that!!

It is a lot faster, cheaper, and more convenient for the customer, for me to repair it than charge them for a new hose, or wait for Delta, (Grohe, Hansgrohe, Moen, etc.), to send them one and then call me back a second time to replace it. THEN, I call the manufacturer and have them send the replacement hose for use the next time it breaks. It is the same "gift" that lets me repair Delta tub/shower valves that homeowners, and other plumbers, have twisted off in the wall.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks