Toto mounted into SS TKO ring and Fluidmaster Waxfree gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I have 3 Totos to install and two installed with questionable results. The installed ones work fine. Have been that way of about 4 years (using shims) without apparent problems.

My specs to plumber was mount using the Fluidmaster wax-less gaskets. This was to avoid wax gaskets in a heated floor. Two are installed, but now that I look at them, the bases are not real close to the floor (1/2" - 3/4"). I am trying to put in two more. All floors are concrete and heated as part of the radiant heating system. Instructions to to tubing installer to stay away from toilets was essentially ignored, so floor temp is likely to be close to water temp. Circulating water could be in the 160 degree range; potentially higher, but probably not likely.

All the toilet flanges are Sioux Chief TKO. The Fluidmaster gaskets are 7500 series. The problem seems to be in the upper area if the gasket.They are built in a stepped fashion, and the first step keeps the gasket from becoming flush with the floor. This leaves the gap which I also see in the already installed units. I don't think that is a real good idea, although creative use of shims followed by caulk would appear to fix it.

Question, what sort of effect will a hot floor have on the performance/durability of wax rings. Are they a safe alternative in this environment? Or should I go with ships of up to 3/4" and caulk to support the bowel base. If this alternative is worse than wax rings I will do it; else, wax rings for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's one company that came out with a synthetic waxless ring made of some sort of rubber/foam that mounts like a normal wax ring (but is reusable). Don't remember the name, but it's here in the forum if you search on waxless. It might be an alternative. The wax melts at a moderately high temp, certainly higher than would be comfortable to walk on any radiantly heated floor, so I don't think that's a big deal. Now, waxless has some usefulness, it's cleaner, and easier to lift and reset the toilet if, say, you want to paint, or update the wallpaper.

JerryR

Reaction score
There's one company that came out with a synthetic waxless ring made of some sort of rubber/foam that mounts like a normal wax ring (but is reusable). Don't remember the name, but it's here in the forum if you search on waxless. It might be an alternative. .

That would be:

http://sanisealgasket.com/

I've used them on 3 installations and so far I am very happy with them.

Jerry

sani_seal_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JerryR

Reaction score
I just posted this on another thread today. It is also relative to this thread.

Disclaimer: To be clear… I have no affiliation with SaniSeal or any other plumbing connections.

I have installed 3 SaniSeal Gaskets as of yesterday and a 4th today.

My wife was complaining about an intermittent sewer smell in the mater bath of the vacation home. (I did not smell it) My Sewer sniffing Jack Russell Terrier alerted to the source. Today I pulled the toilet and installed a new SaniSeal to replace the wax ring.

I intend to replace the vacation home tioilets with a couple of Totos in the near future being I installed 2 Toto Drakes (using SaniSeal Gaskets) in the primary home bath remodel recently and my wife loves them. Now have to replace the vacation home toilets with a Totos. Unfortunately they both have Banjo counters over them so the Universal height Drakes will not fit.

The toilet that I worked on today was rocking a little and I suspect that the wax seal did not completely remain sealed, as alerted by the Jack Russell.

With the Banjo tops it was a little tricky to line up the toilet, being I had to move it around before it would line up exactly. With the SaniSeal holding the bolts upright, yet letting them move around a little, it was a snap.

See pictures taken today. .

Attachments

• 1-Wax_Clean.jpg
    1-Wax_Clean.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 647
  • 1_WaxRing.jpg
    1_WaxRing.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 603
  • 1_Waxdog2JPG.jpg
    1_Waxdog2JPG.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 614
  • 1_WaxDog.jpg
    1_WaxDog.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 603
  • 1_Toilet.jpg
    1_Toilet.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I used a Fernco waxless gasket. It worked. Toilet is now on the floor. The problem appears to be a geometry problem between the Fluidmaster fitting and the top 1/2" or so of the closet flange. The Fernco is not nearly as deep in that area.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jerry, I think I can tell you what is causing the seals to leak. It appears the tile floor was installed when the room was remodeled. The flanges are at their original height and recessed for the flange. Flanges are supposed to be set ON TOP OF THE FINISHED FLOOR. Your are trying to make up that difference with your gaskets, and it's just too much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks