Weird idea to possibly help with skid marks.

Users who are viewing this thread

mrthrills

Reaction score
Hello to all again. I am very pleased with the performance of my Toto Drake toilet so far. However like some others have noticed there are the occasional skid marks showing up. Usually very tiny spots and not smears. I was wondering if it would help to pour water in the toilet to drain most of liquid then coat the bowl with some kind of car wax. Or furniture polish. Would that help with the skid marks or hurt the toilet in any way? I did do a search for the word wax but came up with nothing. If anyone has actually tried this what product do you recommend? TY.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The SanaGlos optional finish on Totos is super smooth, and has some anti-microbial properties. A wax would make things smoother. Not sure what the life of it would be, but I don't think it would hurt. If I was going to try this, I think I'd try one of the high-tech nanowax products. A bit more fiber in a diet pretty much eliminates the skid marks, though, and is good for that and can help lower chloresterol, too.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
For an occasional skid mark, I find dropping 3 or 4 facial tissues in the bowl and flushing does a pretty good job of cleaning. Where that doesn't work, a quick swirl with a brush takes care of it. If it is a frequent problem, a diet adjustment might be worth considering. If the wax holds up for a reasonable time, then that would be an interesting thing to pass on.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Terry used to recommend Chlorox Toilet Bowl liquid cleaner with Teflon. I tried it before I had Sanigloss Totos and it does help, at least some.

mrthrills

Reaction score
TY for the replies. :) I think I will try a high tech car wax and more fiber in my diet wouldn't hurt. I will post with the results to let you know how it works.

mrthrills

Reaction score
It seems to have worked

I did pour water into the toilet to lower the water level. Then I used ArmorAll Original to liberally coat the inside of the toilet bowl. I waited an hour and then flushed once. It has been more than a week now and only two skidmarks so far. The next time the toilet was flushed (not right away) they washed right off. If someone else would like to experiment with this I would be interested in seeing their results. Very happy with the Toto Drake. :)

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I think I'll add that to my to do list. Get up early every Sunday and wax my toilet!!!

John

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Or you could add a high tech wax to your diet. That may fix multiple things;or not.

Seriously, I would like to hear results (with wax name) on experiments. An improved methodology would be measure out horizontal stripe in the skidding area. Then apply various waxes/materials, each to a stripe, and observe comparative results for effectiveness and lifetime. Remember, like snowflakes, no two skid marks are identical. Armor all is not really a wax, but a plastic conditioner. RainX might be interesting. A little tiny windshield wiper and spray would be cool; wait, bidet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, when I RainX my rear window of the car, it lasts many, many months longer than the front that gets abraided by the wipers and bugs, etc. Some of the better car waxes claim they last a year through many car washes, not counting the periodic rain.

Reaction score
Haven't seen any skid marks below water line on the EcoDrake in the past two years (3 toilets). The CEFIONTECT results in any such thing disappearing at the first subsequent flush--it lifts off in the water forming a hazy cloud next to the mark until flushed. Above the water line things can stick. Probably less an issue with the Drake II's since they should more thoroughly scour above water line. Haven't tried wax or RainX above the water line. Might be worth an experiment.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
And after waxing, have a bison on corn and oats take a crap in there and report back on skids. If you have any water left in the bowl.

For $1.98 Those bristly things on a stick have served mankind for a century.

Reaction score
Why use the bristly thing on a stick if you don't have to???

And to be honest, it's not using them (the bristly sticks) that is a problem it is what to do with the ******* things in between uses that is an issue. They don't flush worth a damn.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
As an aside, POURING water into the toilet will NOT remove the water from the bowl. Use a wet/dry vacuum or a sponge.

Works pretty well for me. Yes, it doesn't remove every drop, but takes it almost all the way down. Its just an artificial flush w/o emptying the tank, so you don't get the bowl refill cycle.

If you want ALL of the water out, yes, you will have to do something additional, as hj said.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Guys, this is really much to do about a very small problem. If you will get a bit more fiber in your diet which is a good idea anyway, most of the problem with skid marks will be taken care of. For the occasional times you over do on the diet and get a bit of marking, a quick brushing will take care of it. A brush in a decorative contain beside the toilet is pretty common in most bathrooms and certainly is not as offensive as a plunger. I believe I mentioned in an earlier response that I have had good success with just dropping 3 or 4 facial tissues in the bowl and flushing them.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
For me it is indeed the opposite problem. Explosive diarrhea (IBS). It is not skid marks, it is a field after an artillery barrage.

I am going to change to a Toto that advertises more swirl/cleaning of the bowl. Less overall flow; but I will see what happens.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
For that particular problem, I would be surprised if any of the Totos with the Double Cyclone flush and Sanigloss didn't get it pretty clean on one flush. The Drake II is my personal favorite.

While we should all try to be healthier, we have no control over what our guests' diets are, and I prefer to avoid their embarrassment at my home at having swirlies in my toilet. Yes, a quick swish will usually do the trick, but then they have to do the 2nd flush, which if anyone's nearby, is embarrassing to some people. The best toilet wash is a nice thing to have for their sake, if nothing else. Its kind of random for me if I get streaks or not, but I will pay a bit extra for the best rinse I can get to avoid having to ever do it if possible. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

That said, I won't be waxing my toilet either, so you guys have fun with that. :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with the previous poster. I think you're on the right track with a double cyclone flush and Sanigloss. It would be interesting if you would post a follow-up after installing and using the new toilet. I note you are in Washington, so if you have a problem locating the right Toto, try dealing directly with Terry. No one in Yakima sells Toto, so that what I did when purchasing my toilets. Good excuse to meet him anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks