New Toilet/Bathroom Drain Trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

the.timmer

Reaction score
Over the weekend we installed a new bathroom to have one on the 2nd floor. Ran out of time before being able to install everything, but were able to get the tub connected to the drain and set the toilet. Left the sink drain sticking up about 6" above the subfloor for now. When it came time to test the toilet, it doesn't drain. When you flush it, the bowl fills, but nothing goes down.

I pulled the toilet, ran a line through the bowl out the bottom of the toilet, it went through - no problem. Took the toilet outside, filled the tank and flushed it - no problem. I then set the toilet again and it flushed somewhat, but was inconsistent. Ended up finding that the wax ring was no longer making a seal and air & some water was being pushed out the side/bottom of the toilet but most of it went down the drain. Went and got a new wax ring which sealed it, but also put me back at my original problem. The toilet will flush but won't drain.

I'll post a picture of it later, but the drain first connects into the rest of the drain system from the basement at a 4" pvc, goes up through the first floor to the second and then reduces to 3". It then goes to a Y connection and splits off to the toilet, and the other side goes to the sink, then to the tub.

The tub drains fine, and when pouring water from a bucket through the toilet flange, it seems to drain fine. Toilet is a Kohler Wellworth Classic, which is what we have in the first floor bathroom. We were thinking it may be a vent problem, but the sink drain that is 2' upstream from the toilet is wide open, and I've tried drilling a 1 1/2" hole in the drain, a few feet downstream from the toilet but it still has the same result.

Plumbing.jpg

Last edited:

BizzyBeePlumbing

Reaction score
do you have any vents on this new bathroom you installed? was it inspected? did a plumber complete the work? when you flush the toilet, does the water come all the way to the rim? swirl? is the closet bend holding water or the drain? did the toilet come from home depot? if the drain is done properly, then the toilet is defective. There isnt a test plug anywhere in the line is there? the line could be partially stopped up, taking water from a bucket but not from a toilet flushing.

the.timmer

Reaction score
Think I've got it figured out. We weren't thinking about it when we roughed in the plumbing a year ago and put a trap on the toilet drain. Now if only we didn't already lay the subfloor, thinset and durock... /cry

This should be an episode on Renovation Realities. ;)

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Think I've got it figured out. We weren't thinking about it when we roughed in the plumbing a year ago and put a trap on the toilet drain. Now if only we didn't already lay the subfloor, thinset and durock... /cry

This should be an episode on Renovation Realities. ;)

That could do it!

Where did you get the idea of putting a trap in a toilet drain?

the.timmer

Reaction score
That could do it!

Where did you get the idea of putting a trap in a toilet drain?

My brother wasn't thinking. He's a builder who dabbles in everything. Fortunately he's not the type to make mistakes twice, but unfortunately my house was the one he made it on. Oh well, live and learn.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Sounds like your brother is a accident looking for a place to happen.

John

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks