Sounds Like The Toilet Is Flushing But It's Not

Users who are viewing this thread

fsoprano

Reaction score
My three toilets (upstairs downstairs and basement seem to be flushing by themsleves but it is only making the noise and there is no flush. This started with the basement toilet and now has spread to the other two. Has anyone experienced this with their toilet?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My three toilets (upstairs downstairs and basement seem to be flushing by themsleves but it is only making the noise and there is no flush. This started with the basement toilet and now has spread to the other two. Has anyone experienced this with their toilet?

What do you really mean when you say it sounds like its flushing? Does it really sound like its filling with water (due to maybe water leaking from the tank through a bad flapper/flush valve), or does it really sound like when you actually flush it? If it is the latter, then maybe time to call Ghostbusters. A flush sound is quite distinct like "Fashooom";) and over with in a few seconds.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Only you know what sound it is making, but I'd be willing to bet the flappers are not sealing and this is causing the toilet to constantly refill. Take the lid off the tank and watch. If it is the flapper, the water level will slowly drop in the tank until the float is low enough to open the refill valve. If you have high chlorine in your water or if you have been using bowl cleaner in the water tank, that could be causing rapid flapper failure. Fortunately, flappers are a quick and DIY easy repair. Lowe's has them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Turn the water supply off to the toilets before you leave for the day or before bed, then check them when you come back...odds are, the tank will be empty when you get back.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you have any food coloring, put some in the tank; don't flush. after a few minuts or hours look in the bowl and see if any coloring got into the bowl. This sounds a little like what the Ocean Spray TV commercial guy might do:eek:, but it should show if the flapper is leaking water into the bowl, and causing the tank to constantly refill.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you wait too long, both the tank and the bowl will get flushed out, but that is also another possibility.

fsoprano

Reaction score
Must be a ghost thing because everyone here seems to think it's the flapper or a re-filling issue. I have already opened the back of the toilet when this is happening and there are no flapper issues, no bubbles and I am not losing water. Sorry and thanks for all of your input but this seems to be a mystery as the exact same thing happening to all three toilets seems too remote.

JP T

Reaction score
I’m getting the same noise, started two days ago and it isn’t the toilet running, when I’m downstairs I hear it through our wall like someone upstairs is flushing the toilet and then when I’m upstairs it sounds like it’s coming from downstairs, so I’m guessing it’s coming from middle of the way... it’s strange and I’ve never experienced this b4 besides the obvious things that happen like toilet running from the plug stopper/handle chain etc... it’s really strange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks