Handrail for yard steps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My backyard slopes upwards quite steeply. In the middle are six concrete steps that go up to follow the grade.

Do the steps need a handrail?

And, if so, do they need handrails on both sides?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Depends on the age and infirmity of the guests. Steps without handrails are generally absurd.

The county fathers and your insurance would likely insist.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My backyard slopes upwards quite steeply. In the middle are six concrete steps that go up to follow the grade.

Do the steps need a handrail?

And, if so, do they need handrails on both sides?
Why are you worried about rules all of a sudden?

Cookie

Reaction score
I would put handrails on both sides. My camp property has a creek on the side and to scale it is not dangerous but you just get wet, the former owners put a small wooden bridge over it with wooden handrails, and it works, nicely. You probably won't use it much in the winter, but, steps can get slipperly and it would give your family something to grasp onto.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The steps in my yard pre-dated my arrival and were installed by an American around about the time a cowboy was running the country.

So, the missing handrail is not surprising.

Since the British made this place, I've decided to fix the steps up for the benefit of all Americans.

Cookie

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder, why you don't just do it for yourself & family.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Because when we all give the power
We all give the best
Every minute in the hour
We don't think about the rest

And we all get the power
We all get the best
When everyone gives everything
Then everyone everything will get
Life is life!

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
The great secret and central fact of the universe is that there exists a Spirit (Intelligent Energy) of Infinite Life and Power that is back of all, that animates all, and from which all comes. And to the degree that we come to a realization of this Infinite Source and learn to connect ourselves with it, do we make it possible for this power to work within us, to manifest through us.

What you call this "Infinite Source" or "Intelligent Energy" is up to you. But there is no denying that it exists. It is where Your Life Power comes from, for you to use (or not use) as you choose.

"I hold it as a changeless law
From which no soul can sway or swerve,
We have that in us which will draw
Whate'er we need or most deserve."

-- Ella Wheeler Wilcox,
Poems of Power (1910)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks